Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keep shoveling DVS your making our points look better. why does your towel theory allow yo to build higher and higher? because it distributes the weight over a broader area. so pretend you are going to drop a big slab of granite on top of those towels
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Tom, buddy you are WAY off. Grid IS NOT used to " reinforce soil".
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:

So, GEOGRIDS reinforce the soil

Now, I'm really confused.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDipetro View Post
I\\\'m new to hardscapes and trying to learn as much as I can. I understand that you are saying that grid is not used to \\\"reinforce soil\\\", but by \\\"keep the block in place\\\" are you saying that it is used to hold the block in place?
Joey, allow me to correct myself. grid can be used to reinforce soil, but it's used to reinforce SLOPES. I'm talking steepened slopes where no walls are built.

Or, say a new road is being built. No slope(s). The road bed will be 3-feet above existing grade when complete. Soil may be used to build the road bed. In which case, grid may be used to reinforce the road bed. But, the grid placement will be in layers under the imported fill. They have been building an interstate interchange in our area for the last 10 years. Last summer they had piles and piles and piles of 20-some foot long rolls of grid sitting on the site waiting to be used for an on-ramp.

When grid is used for walls, it's all about vertical support. As I stated, it's part a system. Just like a properly constructed interlocking pavement.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go read post #220. I stated that we excavated 12" and installed 3 layers of grid. So this is a 12" VERTICAL structure. Here is a video I posed earlier that reinforces 2low4NH's point.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAYQ43lzYQ

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Joey, allow me to correct myself. grid can be used to reinforce soil, but it's used to reinforce SLOPES. I'm talking steepened slopes where no walls are built.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, but I'm still confused. Like I said earlier, I'm new to all of this, but want to learn before I go out and screw something up.

So, in grid as a soil re-enforcement on a retaining wall application, you are saying that is only applicable where there is a "slope" present?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought I only had to put 1 foot pieces of grid in on slopes! now im really confused
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I see now what Tom was saying (soil stabilization) and it seems to be consistent with what I have read and with what DVS has posted in the retainingwallexpert.com quote, which contradicted DVS' previous "Tom is way off" post. I think I got that part straight.

Is that correct?

Also, does the grid actually hold the blocks in place as DVS has suggested?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDipetro View Post
Also, does the grid actually hold the blocks in place as DVS has suggested?
In a sense yes, it does hold the blocks by preventing the collapse of the supported hill. Without any hydraulic pressure behind the wall the blocks would hold themselves without the need for grid.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
Go read post #220. I stated that we excavated 12" and installed 3 layers of grid. So this is a 12" VERTICAL structure. Here is a video I posed earlier that reinforces 2low4NH's point.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQAYQ43lzYQ
Tom, I need for you to explain why it was used on your granite application. The video makes sense for sure but only with NO side support. In your case you do have side support so can you tell me, tell us, why you are still using the grid.
What are you actually trying to accomplish with the grid. Will it prevent frost from heaving the step upward, no, will it prevent migration of clay into the granular base, no. What have you learned from icpi or ncma that tells you that grid is required in your application. I'm willing to learn as much as possible as the next guy but the way I see things is icpi and other organizations are still on a learning curve, I mean only a year or so ago it was fine to slope brick away from a raised patio, now they say slope to the centre and install drains. Works great but last job we did was frozen solid and the patio held 2" of water on it for at least 3 weeks. Alot of what they say does make sense but some of it just doens't hold water. No pun intended.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tom, I just watched the video you linked. That is the EXACT video that I posted on another site back in 2007 or was it 2008(?). I posted that when the other site was new.

But your picture, in my opinion does not depict such a scenerio.

Also, I have looked at your pictures not 2, not 4 but 3 times. I'm not seeing where there is 12-inches of soil over the grid?

Ok, now if there is 12-inches or even 15-inches, I'm confused as to how that will be of benefit to anything? Again, my statements are in regards to your photos. In your case, I do not understand what it is stabilizing? There are no steepend slopes. If that area were to settle, it won't be your 12-inches that settles, it will be anything under your 12-inches, as it's not the top of the ground that settles. Your 12-inches is compacted, so we all know as well as you know - that segment is not going anywhere.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.