Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorCreations View Post
So when you excavate are you taking out a total of 10 5/8"? 4" for 2A, 4" for poured concrete and 2 5/8" for the paver.

I like the idea of pouring concrete and laying the pavers on top, but won't this add cost to the job? I see that it could be less labor involved in leveling everything with sand, but it would seem to add cost by excavating more soil.

?????
We are located in ny and our soil is mostly 90 percent sand. We only excavate 7". 4 " for concrete than 1/2" sand and your paver. Very rarely we will be in a poor soil with lots of clay and we will excavate another 6" to 8" to get below the clay fill with RCA Roll then pour
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

joe,

ask for it in rolls, its made of closed cell foam, water will not hurt it, and it doesn't break apart. huge time saver with the tear strip.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVA_Concrete View Post
joe,

ask for it in rolls, its made of closed cell foam, water will not hurt it, and it doesn't break apart. huge time saver with the tear strip.
Just a ? Do u still need your expasion joint below it or is all 1 piece. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

all one piece. the foam is perforated so you can pull away after the pour.

or pull away for a 3.5 inch piece. or if we are pouring a 4 inch slab with no joint sealant we flip it upside down.

its great stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry but you can't sell me on using concrete underneath a patio. I've seen the winter aftermath on concrete and it doesn't settle back in place after a thaw. Its called a tripper and will settle as much as 2inches above where it was poured. So if I lay pavers over your 4inch base my pavers will be upwards of 2inches above the others, and if I was a customer wanting that paver "look" patio and my contractor was pouring a concrete base, why not just stamp the pad and be done with it.

In my area everything heavies and shifts around, we have a heavy clay soil with pockets of loam. Dry lay will heave as like concrete, This is my selling point of a dry lay over poured concrete, but dry lay is repairable as concrete patterns never match up or dyed color concrete never looks or fades correctly.

With repair as well, both can not stand the ultimate test of using road salt on them. Though pavers offer better drainage than concrete does, as its all heaved and thrown out of pitch. Ice forms from and further damages slabs, if you'd like a example I invite you to drive Downtown Waukesha WI. Also the salts will rust your rebar and mesh, as steel rusts it expands thus deterating concrete internally, as road salt (NaCl) doesn't chemically react to water just lowering the freezing point will abosrb into pourous concrete, refreeze and "pit" the surface. Not to mention exposied aggerate concrete is hell on snow shovels, snow blower paddles, and cutting edges.

Lastly I have not found a concrete sub contractor that will warrenty his work either.

I'll end on a question though. Why does concrete explode during the summer? Heat build up?

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I'm sorry but you can't sell me on using concrete underneath a patio. I've seen the winter aftermath on concrete and it doesn't settle back in place after a thaw. Its called a tripper and will settle as much as 2inches above where it was poured. So if I lay pavers over your 4inch base my pavers will be upwards of 2inches above the others, and if I was a customer wanting that paver "look" patio and my contractor was pouring a concrete base, why not just stamp the pad and be done with it.

In my area everything heavies and shifts around, we have a heavy clay soil with pockets of loam. Dry lay will heave as like concrete, This is my selling point of a dry lay over poured concrete, but dry lay is repairable as concrete patterns never match up or dyed color concrete never looks or fades correctly.

With repair as well, both can not stand the ultimate test of using road salt on them. Though pavers offer better drainage than concrete does, as its all heaved and thrown out of pitch. Ice forms from and further damages slabs, if you'd like a example I invite you to drive Downtown Waukesha WI. Also the salts will rust your rebar and mesh, as steel rusts it expands thus deterating concrete internally, as road salt (NaCl) doesn't chemically react to water just lowering the freezing point will abosrb into pourous concrete, refreeze and "pit" the surface. Not to mention exposied aggerate concrete is hell on snow shovels, snow blower paddles, and cutting edges.

Lastly I have not found a concrete sub contractor that will warrenty his work either.

I'll end on a question though. Why does concrete explode during the summer? Heat build up?
It seems to me that u have much more clay. I work in beautiful sand most of the time. As far as finding a sub to warranty concrete you will not. If u did u would pay triple the price for them to be able to risk that. I tell my customers the concrete will crack but they stay as tight cracks and minimum. I don't really understand what u mean by concrete heating up n exploding. Also back to concrete as my base it does not matter to me if it cracks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any pictures of patios that you have done with your concrete base? Before, during, after pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiff View Post
Do you have any pictures of patios that you have done with your concrete base? Before, during, after pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes of course J
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, would you care to post some of them to view???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiff View Post
Well, would you care to post some of them to view???
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure ill share. However you will have to give instructions for my wife to install them bc I'm no computer guy
Posted via Mobile Device