Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What saw?

What "cut off" saws are you using? Have 2 older Ts400s. May upgrade or rotate these to backups and get something different. Looking for opinions and whats out there.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a dolmar and a makita almost identical saws. blew up a few hskys
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna is the way to go. We have 4 of them. We also have old Partners and Wackers. Wackers are horrible, too much plastic, they just don't hold up. Ever since Husqvarna and Partner teamed up they have been making a great saw.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
Husqvarna is the way to go. We have 4 of them. We also have old Partners and Wackers. Wackers are horrible, too much plastic, they just don't hold up. Ever since Husqvarna and Partner teamed up they have been making a great saw.
I always ran Makita's and Wackers (same thing more or less, like Dolmar) but the last one we bought a Husky again after being talked out of a Stihl. I really like the K700 better than the 700's & 950 we had years ago. Those Partners were constantly loosing small screws that were detrimental to their operation. We had good luck with the Makitas in the beginning, but the last few burned up in a year or so & made me look around. I'm not sure if it's an option for you, but an electric 14" can be a nice, reliable option if you already have gas saws, depending what you are using them for.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have always used Stihl because I figured it was the best. My last 2 TS700's have sucked. I may try Husky next.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have an old TS400, 11 yrs to be exact. Every year it gets a tune up and carb rebuild. But it's about time to retire it.

I'd like to get a brand where I can locally get parts quickly, and serviced. So this means it's either Stihl or Husky.

Anyone else not so happy with Stihl?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used stihl, partner (now husky) and lately Hilti which I like the best plenty of power and a pretty good warranty, the stihl's are hard to start, the partners are nice to cut with for some reason it feels lighter, but they are pretty picky about the type of oil and mix ratio, I like using synthetic oil from amsoil and this saws seem not to like it vs any other equipment I've used at.
Since I bought the hilti that is the ones everyone tries to use.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we recently did a job where we needed a saw for about 15 min of use. Ours wasnt on site so I rented a Stihl, fairly new. And I noticed it was hard to start when it was cold.

My guys may lift block all day, push fully loaded wheel-barrs, and have no problem slinging wet bags of mulch - but they don't have the guns to really give the starter ropes a good hard snap and make them puppies fire right up. So ease of starting is IMPORTANT. Me on the other hand.....I have to be careful cause I usually break the ropes.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the biggest difference that i noticed between the stihl and huskey was the location of the handle, the huskey has the handle on the back side of the saw similar to a chain saw.

huskey has more power than the stihl, and look at the air intake on the ts420, right at the bottom rear of the saw, where all the dust goes. the huskey has the air intake on the top out of the way of the dust.

I am happy with my huskey.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

We used to always use the partner saw until they have changed over to husky. At that time I purchased a 4 stihl 400 series. It was very reliable. Last year I purchased 2 of the large 700 hundred series. I can say the saw is a beast. As far as ripping paver cuts its an animal. However it is a very heavy saw and sometimes it can be a ppain in the -#* to start. But I really am happy with the stihl
Posted via Mobile Device