Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where would you get the innoculant? What soil conditions, ph, OM%, Hosts, etc does it prefer?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Where would you get the innoculant? What soil conditions, ph, OM%, Hosts, etc does it prefer?
According to what I read, the Mid-Atlantic states are best for them in the US. I can try and dig further, but the website I linked gave some info and trees to purchase. I think the 10 grand manual includes 100 trees. $100 bucks a tree though.

I'll send an e-mail to a guy I know that goes mushroom hunting.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
JD, if you read some of the links, you'll the see many of the answers.
Soil, well-drained alkaline. Hosts, hazelnut or oak. Also info on climate.

As I read Natty's link, the $10,000 manual was free when you bought some quantity of trees.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truffle dogs and 'lookin for love' female pigs!!!

Yes - it says you need to buy 250 trees @ $22 a tree so $5500. I don't know why one would not, just get all the infected with truffle spore trees + free book vs just book for 10K?? He also says pretty much nobody has been successful yet - EXCEPT HIM
It also take like 8 years min to get the trees where they will produce the truffles and you pretty much need a female pig or a truffle dog to even find the truffles The female pig gets excited because the truffle smells like a male pigs ______________ privates? Also weird so folks that love truffles must also be attracted to male pigs ___________ privates. So where does one train a dog to be a truffle dog? I would think if the dog was trained to easily follow the scent of anything you could show them a truffle get them to smell it and you would be off hunting truffles?
They say the female pig is not great to use to hunt the truffle cause when they find them they try to eat them - right away. The dog just wants a pet on the head and a treat and they let you dig the truffle out. This site also says they will buy your truffles for $500 a pound minimum and they are selling truffles this year for $800 a pound. The trees are tiny and come in little 4 inch pots and you plant them close together in a specific area with specific soil conditions, sun light, wind breaks, etc. Harvest Sept - May. @ $500 a pound 1 acre should net you $25,000 min - So I guess if you get your own restaurants to sell to for $1000 that acre could net you 50K.
Amazing to just let your mind wander - huh. I would for sure like to get a truffle dog and do some exploring in the woods. Who knows
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I was off about the tree price.

If you take a look at dirtandhoops link, the type of dog for truffle hunting is mentioned is in the video, but it looks like the owner just has a black lab.

Speaking of pigs, I'm reading a book on turning compost by adding a few kernels of corn to manure. Keep the pigs out and when you're ready to turn it, unleash the pigs. They will go nuts digging out the fermented corn kernels and aerating the compost.

Will too many truffles lower the demand and the final price? It doesn't seem like the suppliers want more competition.

A good supply chain will be critical.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.ducketttruffieres.com/index.htm

http://natruffling.org

http://www.bctruffles.ca

http://www.trufficulture.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1000 My friend works for these guys as mentioned in the other thread (I think)

I have hazel nuts growing already. Maybe I'll try it.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had heard about truffle orchards in North Carolina. Here in south Florida I have found truffle-like growths but have been too scared to eat them.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I had heard about truffle orchards in North Carolina. Here in south Florida I have found truffle-like growths but have been too scared to eat them.
Great point. How does one tell if a mushroom or truffle is poision or not? Feed it to the pig first -
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Great point. How does one tell if a mushroom or truffle is poision or not? Feed it to the pig first -
Buy the infected tree or get a pig r' dog and go huntin