Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

towing question

I have purchased a backhoe down in GA and need to get it back to central IL Im buying a dump truck and trailer with it as well but am worried that I may have trouble with the trailer that Im getting as part of this package.

I want to take an extra trailer down with me in case I dont feel good about the trailer that comes with this but The only truck I have with a goose neck hook up is a 2001 f-250 4x4 with the v10 I have a friend of mine that has a 12 ton 30' goose neck trailer that I can borrow, the trailer weighs in at 6300lbs and the back hoe weighs in at 17350 so the combine weight being towed will be a little over 23k, Im not looking to move this more than this time and only if I see a potental issue or have a problem.

has any one tried towing 23k with a 3/4 ton srw?

I realize this is not what is recomended or advised or even smart Im looking to see if some one has ever done this and what issues they experienced, as I dont want to be 500 miles away from home and have an issue with the new trailer
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's a serious load and you will go through some pretty steep hills. You better take an extra pair of pants
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your telling me I have driven this way before I bet the trailer breaks get a good work out
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I have been down that way and there are quite a few truck runaway ramps. Honestly, normally I would say go for it, but I think that trip would be scary with a gas engine 250.

Double check your brakes all the way around and take it slower than you think you need to on those hills.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapedesignpros
has any one tried towing 23k with a 3/4 ton srw?
If you were just going a few miles not a big problem, but running a 30K combination from state to state will draw the unwanted attention of commercial vehicle inspectors. Unless you and the truck are licensed for running at over 26K combined this is not a good idea. That full size backhoe behind a pickup will stick out like a sore thumb. You may be able to have the hoe shipped for less than you think. My dad had a Case 580 shipped from western WA to Montana for about $500.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The plates on the set up would cover up to 36k truck and trailer, I have a class a so I can drive pretty much any thing
I will look into getting some shipping quotes as I said its just a back up as the truck that comes with it is a f-800 and has a 26k trailer, it just dosent look the best in the pics and I have to get that truck home any ways
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hook the trailer up and drive a one ton truck or something on it and pull it around. I bet you scrap the idea of thinking about loading a backhoe on.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a 1 way ticket down and check everything on the trailer out. If it needs something, get it fixed before hitting the road. I would really consider getting an annual DOT done on the truck and trailer before leaving GA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Towing 15k lbs behind a V10 F250 was a pretty awful experience, I couldn't imaging 23k behind it..and you will get stopped multiple times on such a long trip by the dot.

You could ask the seller to drop the trailer off at a local trailer dealer and have them do a once over...Have them fix any brake/tire/bearing problems and you'll be good to go when you pick it up.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found a low boy that will get both the truck and back hoe shiped for alot less than I thought, thanks for all of the advice