Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Sportsfield Maintenance Contracts

Just wondering who out there contracts out the cutting and maintenance of their sportsfields i.e. baseball fields, soccer pitches?
Do you just contract out cutting or do you also contract out the fert/seeding/aerifying also?
What would the cost per acre per cut be?? We might look at doing this but, are trying to get a handle on costs before we seriously look at sending out for a quote.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We get contracted to do the fertilizers etc on many fields locally, we dont cut but work with the contractors that cut.

That being said, I imagine that all the fields, both private and municipal, that contract the cutting out do it because it is cheaper to do so.

Keep in mind by contracting it out, you dont have to hire staff, pay benes, insurance, retirement etc. so think long term as well as short term when doing this.

I hate to say it but get some bids see where the numbers fall if they work then hire one of the bidders that you are comfortable with. If they numbers dont work, then continue on as you are, no harm done.

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

We currently have contracts for all greenspace maintenance for 2 towns. That includes hagging baskets, flower beds, schools, parks, etc. The towns went that way many years ago to save money as mentioned above. Most town staff are unionized with higher wages as you probably know ... that's where the biggest savings come from.

We charge $100.00/hr for our 9ft striping mower ... it takes about 1.5 hrs to mow a soccer field in 2 directions. That way you get a very nice striping pattern in both directions, just like you see on the pro fields on TV.

I agree with Turf Hokie ... go out for tenders or an RFP, but ask what kind of equipment they might be using ... it takes bigger equipment to maintain those kinds of acres.