Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Deere skid steer weights

Looking to add a weight kit to the @ss of my JD 320 skid. Anybody have a suggestion on where i could find one, new, used or otherwise? I might as well hang gold bars on the back for what the stealer wants for one. Even if I can find just the weights, I'll fab my own brackets if I have to. Theres a set of brackets on Ebay, but they are for the older New Holland and Deere 75 series machines. I assume they won't fit the newer ones, unless someone tells me differently? If they're close, maybe I could modify them easier than making some from scratch...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could also buy a set of free weights from a local garage sale and do this route:

Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats got to be a joke on where the weights are placed. Your going to end up riding with your arse in the ground with just about every backwards move with the bucket slightly up.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The old NH style ran along the frame of the machine, whereas the 200 and 300 series Deere's stacked out perpendicular to the machine. If I remember right it was only like $5-600 for 8 weights and the mounting brackets new. I think you gain about 350# with the factory setup.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, the weights themselves seem to run about a dollar a pound. I think it's 4 on each side, about 40 lbs a piece. Thats 320 lbs plus the brackets, so yeah I'd say your pretty close on the 350 figure. It's the brackets that are the b!tch, I think they quoted me almost $300. I have some connections there where I could get a hold of one to borrow to let the local welding shop copy it, except they don't have any in stock and have to order them, which means i have to buy them. I guess I'll have to pony up or go without. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh BTW, mow king, I'm thinking that Case setup is only good for wheelie competitions...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way my post sounds to negative sorry aboot that. I still dont like where the weights are setup though.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
Oh BTW, mow king, I'm thinking that Case setup is only good for wheelie competitions...
Probably - I bought that unit for re-sale and never used it. Seemed pretty stable messing around with it in the yard though.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate to be dumb, but..I can't see those pics from mow king, I only see 3 boxes with red x's in them. I need a counterweight for my Case 440 and can't come up with a good design, any ideas??

Bighornjd: I have a set of NH counterweights from an LX885 that may work for you I will sell very reasonable. Thay are all but brand new.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhoy.pt View Post
I hate to be dumb, but..I can't see those pics from mow king, I only see 3 boxes with red x's in them. I need a counterweight for my Case 440 and can't come up with a good design, any ideas??

Bighornjd: I have a set of NH counterweights from an LX885 that may work for you I will sell very reasonable. Thay are all but brand new.
The pics he posted show a 1845 Case with what looks like a piece of pipe welded on the rear of the loader arm supports at the top, facing rearward, with several round free weights slid on them like you would find in a set of gym equipment, pretty crude, but I guess wahtever works.

PM me a price on the NH set you got, I don't think the brackets will work, but if your talking "very reasonable" I could probably still at least use the weights and fab my own brackets.