Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Black truck, stupid idea?

Purchasing a new truck in the next couple of days, and just need to decide on a color now. White or black.

I'm not concerned about the heat in the summer, old truck was dark red and it was fine.
For those who have owned a black work truck, how beat up do they look and how soon?

I would like a black truck for the upscale look but if this requires weekly car washes to maintain and/or easily visable scratches soon make it look worse than a white truck anyway; I think I should go white.

Opinions?

Last edited by lawncuttinfoo; 02-09-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you just made up your mind haha. I say you cant go wrong either way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet, I'm leaning for black but the fact that they make fleet trucks white tells me I may be making a stupid decision.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
Not yet, I'm leaning for black but the fact that they make fleet trucks white tells me I may be making a stupid decision.
Black shows scratches, dents, and dings the worst of any color. The only time it looks clean is right after you wash it. I would definitely go with the white between those 2 choices.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

WHITE!!!!!! Not to mention you are up in MN and with just a little bit of sand/salt going down the side of it from what's left over that is on the road days after the snows. Mine is white and I get by washing it about once a month. My gf's is black and it needs it once a week. Her's is actually a "fleet" truck, nothing special, just a basic GMC Sierra SL, but is it crew cab, and power options, which is nice.

I like what LibertyFarm said, shows scratches, dings, dents and that awful "spider web" pattern you see on vehicles sometimes (in the right light).
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess the only reason I am still considering black even though many people say it is hard to maintain is because my wife has a black car which gets washed maybe 2 times a year. And to me even in that condition I kind of feel the black distinction being able to stand out from the other companies is worth the trade off.
I think my tolerance for dirt is higher than those advising to stay away from black.

I mean its a work truck, I do not want people to think we do not work.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I work and all my stuff is sqeaky clean. HA!! Nice clean equipment helps sell too, they see you take care of it, they'll know you'll take care of them. Just my .02 worth. I would get what you want though.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The "spider webs" look is from people taking black cars through carwashes that touch and from them using dirty rags to dry with. Black would never work for me in a truck color.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

black is nice if your washing and detailing it everyday not that white does not need it either but i think you can do more with white as far a lettering it up the only people i see with black are sealcoat and asphalt trucks co.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see most sealcoat co with black trucks but I also see a few of the higher end smaller companies with black trucks and they look nice.

Black order placed, if it's too bad I can change to white in 200,000m/7 years for the next truck.