Register free!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Is now a good time to spread some lime?

Here in WV the temps are still cold and snow is coming and going. If the snow melts off is now a good time to apply lime to my yard. My soil testing last summer showed that I needed to bring my PH up signicantly and suggested about 1200lbs of lime. I applied ~250lbs of lime in the summer and then again in fall. Would it be okay for me to put down~250 pounds now and then again in april?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the snow is off the ground and looks like it will not come back, at least for long, you should be good.

Then the April is also a good spacing.

However, I do have a question. What size is your yard and what is your pH level?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mark View Post
As long as the snow is off the ground and looks like it will not come back, at least for long, you should be good.

Then the April is also a good spacing.

However, I do have a question. What size is your yard and what is your pH level?
I don't believe the snow season is over quite yet. I'm not sure how much we'll get but I'm sure we will get more.

The pH of my lawn last spring/summer was 4.8 and the extension service suggested adding 170lbs/1000'. I decided to do this in multiple applications of around 40lbs/1000'. I am going to get the soil retested this summer. I spent a lot of time last year trying to get this lawn in nicer condition which included overseeding with TTF on labor day. By the end of october it was beginning to look pretty nice. Now I'm working on a spring plan of action which would include fert and pre emergent applications. But I need to get the pH upward toward 7.0 to make the grass healthier.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Then it appears you are going to be in good shape.

Wait on the soil test for at least 3 months after the last application to give it a chance to move into the soil.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A pH of 4.8 is highly acid. Maybe another soil test would be a good idea--make sure it is a top quality lab. Ask around, or talk to your county agriculture extension office to see if that is reasonable for your part of the state. If your grass looks OK, conditions must be somewhat satisfactory.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
A pH of 4.8 is highly acid. Maybe another soil test would be a good idea--make sure it is a top quality lab. Ask around, or talk to your county agriculture extension office to see if that is reasonable for your part of the state. If your grass looks OK, conditions must be somewhat satisfactory.
Yes I'm very aware that 4.8pH is very acidic. When I had it tested last year my lawn looked like hell. I bought the home last winter and it was my first opportunity to work on the lawn. It was full of crab grass and looked horrible. So I had an alaysis done. I've put down about 600 pounds of lime in two installments, fertilized with the recommended amounts and did some selective aerating. Now I'm want to put the last of the lime down and later this summer do another soil test. Hoping to see that pH much closer to 7.0.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Yes I'm very aware that 4.8pH is very acidic. When I had it tested last year my lawn looked like hell. I bought the home last winter and it was my first opportunity to work on the lawn. It was full of crab grass and looked horrible. So I had an alaysis done. I've put down about 600 pounds of lime in two installments, fertilized with the recommended amounts and did some selective aerating. Now I'm want to put the last of the lime down and later this summer do another soil test. Hoping to see that pH much closer to 7.0.
You know theres more to getting a nice yard than raising the PH.

Did they give you the % of Organic matter in the soil ?

If your house is like most. All the dirt from the foundation is push all over the yard to bring it to grade. most of that dirt wont grow good grass even with a PH of 6.5 that's where you want to be.

Charles Cue
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
You know theres more to getting a nice yard than raising the PH.
Sure I know that. And as I mentioned I'm taking steps to address all the issues with my yard. My question was about lime and if it's safe to put it down when the ground is cold and their is still a threat of snow.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Sure I know that. And as I mentioned I'm taking steps to address all the issues with my yard. My question was about lime and if it's safe to put it down when the ground is cold and their is still a threat of snow.
Sorry got off track

I would not see where it would make difference as long as the ground is not frozen when you put it down. If it snows on top of it most of the time snow melts slow the ground under snow usually is not frozen.

You need moisture to get it in the soil. Rain or snow it will not matter

With thin grass and your yard is on a hill or even if it rains hard it could wash some of it.

Summer or winter.

In my opinion no it would not matter.

Charles Cue