Register free!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

retail nursery

I am looking to open a retail nursery in my area in north fl. Does anyone have any ideas where that i need to start. I have a general idea about plant because i own a lawn & landscaping business in fl. What is a good book to start off with if that is the first step i need to take.

Thanks Guys
Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Firs you need a good peace of land .
Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

no i have a place in my local town to sell the the plants.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I mean this with all due respect, but if you have to ask this questions you might not be ready for this step. However, I will indulge you a bit. First, you say you are in Florida. From what I know of Florida and I'm sure the Floridians on this site can back me up, I'm pretty sure there isn't a shortage of nurseries in Florida. Having said that, if you are just looking for having a nursery for your own use then have at it. Find a wholesaler and go for it. That's why I said, if you have to ask the question you might not be ready. Where are you planning on getting your plants? They come from wholesalers. Unless your planning on growing from seed. If you are planning on that then good luck, you have your work cut out for you. Even having plants on hand to care for means you have your work cut out for you already. You have to ask yourself why you want to do this. Do you want to do it so you have your own plants for your own landscape jobs so you can cut out the middle man? Or do you think you can make a profit selling plants alone. I could go on and on, but I'll let you answer a few of these questions first and try and help from there.