Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you bring up a good point what are you trying to do with the extract, many of the "masters" are trying to establish the higher level predators in their teas, these are the ones that eat others that release the nutrients

I know many that throw compost in a pale of water, leave it for several days and stir it whenever they happen to go by the bucket and do just fine, it is a scaling issue really, I do fine with a 5 gallon bucket in my back yard, if I was trying to service 40 or 400 or 4000 clients it would be much different and I would be looking for a completely different outcome

I think you will be fine, actually the plants will tell you in a matter of time
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm also thinking that with a smaller tank, comes a less powerful engine and that will help me keep the centrifugal pump from destroying microbes as they are mixed into the water and later pumped into the hose. i am under the impression that diaphragm pumps are least harmful to microbes, and centrifugal pumps could potentially be damaging.

if i'm not preserving the microbes, i'd rather just put down dehydrated granular compost with some mixed in dry molasses into the lawn, using a broadcast spreader, as that would be more effective for turf improvement.

my plan right now is to go ahead and put down two apps of granular compost in early april and then again 8 weeks later, with apps of compost tea, one in between in may and two more in august and october. plus an aeration + leaf mulching + microbe foods combo in late october/early november.

if i can't be confident in the compost tea, then i will adapt with a third granular app in august and maybe try to puch the aerate+mulch+foods deal for early oct AND early november. unfortunately, putting down tonnes of granular compost is not going to give me the same margin or scalability.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How is this working out for you?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a microbulator instead.............still would love to give it a try. maybe i'll buy a hydroseeder as my next sprayer and run some tests.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wouldn't 1 1/2 yards be a little much for 1000 gals? in my 300 gal hydroseeder i couldn't imagine using more than 150# of screened compost.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
wouldn't 1 1/2 yards be a little much for 1000 gals? in my 300 gal hydroseeder i couldn't imagine using more than 150# of screened compost.
I still can't see why putting down 1.5 yards of dry compost and turning on the irrigation or sprinkler wouldn't be a better environment for 'slurry' with a lot less work...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.tendershoots.ca/

These guys used to do a few municipal properties in Ontario. Im not sure what they are up to now.

They were strictly Organic (per say) a few years back but ended up falling back on Weed Control Products.

It still is very interesting stuff.

The people that sold you the Microbulator have posted here that lawns are a waste of time, by the way.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
http://www.tendershoots.ca/

These guys used to do a few municipal properties in Ontario. Im not sure what they are up to now.

They were strictly Organic (per say) a few years back but ended up falling back on Weed Control Products.

It still is very interesting stuff.

The people that sold you the Microbulator have posted here that lawns are a waste of time, by the way.
Please provide a quote. I have said I do not have any experience with lawns and that I believe in indigenous vegetation over lawns but do not believe I stated what you say.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have brewed AACT with a Microbulator as part of our organic & transitional lawn care programs. We have seen an increase in turf health, reduced irrigation needs, and less disease problems.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tim, I will not debate this with you after this posting. You reply will go unanswered.

You didn't say lawns are a Waste of time

I should have worded it like this:

The people that sold you the Microbulator have posted here that lawns are silly, by the way.

Here is the actual quote since you asked:

Quote:
As far as a silly lawn goes, embrace the other plant types which show themselves or pull them by hand. What is the big deal about a few plants which are not grass, growing in a ground cover? Stop catering to a bunch of silly spoiled babies who want to have a perfect lawn at a premium price. It is time for America (& Canada) to grow up! If one is growing hay or crops there are many techniques to control weeds like competing acceptable 'weeds', burning and seeding, soil microbial manipulation, etc.

As far as using roundup, this is the spawn of the devil himself and anyone who uses it with a minor amount of knowledge of its effects on the soil and the earth aligns themself as such. This chemical was designed with the overtaking of horticulture and the world food market in mind and what has evolved is pure evil. Check it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine
I am all for getting rid of all of the bad crap that everyone is putting down on their lawns. However, if we try to force feed everyone and stamp our feet and have a hissy fit when people request a nice thick weed free(almost??) lawn, then we will get nowhere, and they will turn to the chem lawns of the world and we all know how that will go.

Plus, then we aren't making much of a living either, which, last I checked is a primary reason for being in any business.

It is on "us" to perfect the organic approach, and even blend it with a synthetic approach if necessary, to give the customer what they want. It is a free country and they are allowed to have a lush green lawn. Again, we in America believe in personal freedoms, so lets keep the personal freedoms, but lets make it so that it is an easy decision to choose organics.
End Quote:

Tim Wilson Replies:

raaalph! The land of freedom allows a lush green lawn?

I don't think a guy from Ontario would buy a Microbulator if he knew he would not be able to address the weeds in his customers lawns and that he should embrass them instead.

I would like to know why ParadiseLS bought this product.
I also agree with OrganisMaines comment.