Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New to liquid fertilizing

This year I'm looking to try out liquid fertilizing (on my personal lawn). I'm a mowing only service and don't offer fertilization at the moment. Instead, I leave it to the experts in this particular field and sub out the jobs to them. Not because I don't want to learn, but because I'm too afraid to burn up someone else's lawn, whether it be a mistake, honest mistake, or flat out not knowing what I'm doing.

Anyways, I decided it's time to learn liquid fertilization. I've got the hang of Granular fertilization on my own lawn. I understand the lbs. of nitrogen, how to come up with the ratio and numbers when it comes to granular. But when it comes to liquid, I'll be honest, I'm completely lost. So I'm looking at using A. Sulfate on our personal lawn. Can someone draw out the basics? How do I go about figuring and calculating the numbers on liquid apps? Let's say I want to apply .50 lb. of Nitrogen per k using 21-0-0. How would I go about this? Also, another quick question. Is it safe to mix herbicides with water soluble fertilizers?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its just like calculating how much granules to spread per 1000 for a given amount of N, except you will be putting that amount of dry soluble in however much water you are using to make the application. 5 gallons of water per 1000 is a safe volume for applying 1/2 lb of N. 2.38 lb of ammonium sulfate is equal to 1/2 lb of N. Rounding it up to 2.5 lb has yet to kill any lawn I have sprayed that on. Yes, you can apply herbicides together. My preference is to use liquids as carriers for preemergent herbicides. Postemergent sprays perform a lot better when applied in a low volume application containing adequate surfactant. Surfactants in a liquid fertilizer application greatly enhance any burning the mix could cause.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GreenDoc, I appreciate your time very much. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking it could be the same formulation, for example 2.38 of granular applied is 1/2 lb. of Nitrogen as to 2.38 of liquid applied, just with one I would need to mix with the 5-gallons. So do you see a difference visually in applying liquid apps over granular being that it should be directly available to the plant? I'm going to play it safe, I've been reading some of your post, and defiantly going to play it safe and only apply .30-.50N at a time. I'm more on a spoon feeding schedule with my lawn also. I obviously don't have the expensive equipment you have, but I would like to eventually get into doing liquid apps on lawns (after I learn what I'm doing on my own, if you understand what I'm saying.) I can't drop a grand on a sprayer like yours that's for sure, but I'm about to go pick up an echo backpack sprayer today and see if I enjoy spraying our lawn this year and how it reacts to the spray vs. granular. Also, can you tell me the best method you use? Do you still water in after spraying as you would granular or no? I would think not, but I'd be willing to take your advice on this!

Thanks Green Doc!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Doc, also a couple of more questions for you. I was doing some more digging and reading into your post. I see people mention the effect of Liquid Spraying doesn't last as long, at least for ferts such as Ammonium Sulfate. I also seen you mention the golf courses are spraying about every 14 days, which is also what I've read in the past in some articles. So taken into account, our soil has good levels of P and K, I applied one app of a balanced fert early in the season. For the Spring, I'm looking for straight Nitrogen with no P or K, which is why I decided on the 21-0-0. My schedule currently involves 1/2N per month. So should I break this 1/2N a month into two applications at a 1/4N every 14 days in order to see better results? Note our lawn is a high maintenance lawn, and is watered over 1" a week and mowed every 3 days. I'm confused about whether I should do the same as applying as granular. 1 application of 1/2N every 30 days or break it into two applications and apply more often.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not lasting long. Ammonium sulfate does not work for a 60-90 day application program. It does work for a 14-30 day program. There is also no problem with getting 1/2 lb to last 30 days on clay based soils. Don't know about you, but it is hard for me to spread 2.5 lb of a very dense granule in such a way that green spots are not created in the lawn. I have not been paying attention and my laziness means I have not searched your posts. A lawn mowed every 3 days sounds like reel cut bermuda. A liquid is a good program for you unless you have access to green grade fertilizer at a good price.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So one of the parts I'm confused on, on a granular schedule, I'm set to feed .50N per month during the growing season. Are you saying since the nutrients from the quick release only last 14-30 days average. That I should apply the .50N every 14 days or break the monthly .50N in half and apply .25N every 14 days? Do you suggest watering it in after application? And you stated use the 5 gallons per every 1k square feet is safe, correct? Thanks again for the help and clearing everything up! Green Doc!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As for the reel mowing, I just purchased a reel mower a while back, but haven't began to use it yet this season. I have a Zoysia lawn. The grass isn't growing that fast (every 3-days.) However, I mow every day, so when I unload my equipment I go ahead and mow it every 3-days taking just a little bit off the blade at a time and keeping at my desired height.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
So one of the parts I'm confused on, on a granular schedule, I'm set to feed .50N per month during the growing season. Are you saying since the nutrients from the quick release only last 14-30 days average. That I should apply the .50N every 14 days or break the monthly .50N in half and apply .25N every 14 days? Do you suggest watering it in after application? And you stated use the 5 gallons per every 1k square feet is safe, correct? Thanks again for the help and clearing everything up! Green Doc!
You can apply the 0.5 lb every 30 days. That will work. 0.25 lb every 14 days will also work. If you are applying in 5 gallons per 1000, no need to water in. My comment about watering after application refers to what needs to be done when I am spraying a 0.5-1 lb mix application in 1 gallon or 2 per 1000. Leaving that not watered in will scorch the grass.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
As for the reel mowing, I just purchased a reel mower a while back, but haven't began to use it yet this season. I have a Zoysia lawn. The grass isn't growing that fast (every 3-days.) However, I mow every day, so when I unload my equipment I go ahead and mow it every 3-days taking just a little bit off the blade at a time and keeping at my desired height.
Got it. You do know that zoysia performs a lot better if kept between 1/2-1" I have told people if they cannot reel mow, they should be using St Augustine.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

How much 28.0.0 do I mix with water in a 30 gallon sprayer?