Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I should ask one of the techs someday when I see them working next door to my customers...'how do you like your job, anyway?'
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't the "hang dog" look on every TG techs face tell you all you need to know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for them for 9 yrs. Pay def. depends on how much you do. The last year I worked there I made 28000, 7000 less than the year before. I did alot more work than the year before. The last year I worked, I did 38 million sqft on foot for 265'000. If I were you I would look at a smaller company that will pay you hourly. Tg will have you work every sat. including the sat. before easter, memorial day week end, rain, sleet, snow. Trust me it is not a good place to work. Save yourself the trouble and get experience from a company that cares for its customers and its employees.

Last edited by phillie; 02-12-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: just adding to it
Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what did they have you spraying in snow and sleet? Antifreeze?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
I used to work for them for 9 yrs. Pay def. depends on how much you do. The last year I worked there I made 28000, 7000 less than the year before. I did alot more work than the year before. The last year I worked, I did 38 million sqft on foot for 265'000. If I were you I would look at a smaller company that will pay you hourly. Tg will have you work every sat. including the sat. before easter, memorial day week end, rain, sleet, snow. Trust me it is not a good place to work. Save yourself the trouble and get experience from a company that cares for its customers and its employees.
I would imagine they also gave you health benefits? How much did you have to pay a month for those?
So were you able to start your own business? Or just swich companies to work for somebody who cares about you?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started my own bus. and haven't looked back. Indiana is a right to make a living state so they couldn't mess with me to much. I got cease to exist papers alot, then at somepoint they finally forgot about me.. My benefits costed 80 a month but I don't have kids or any dependants. I heard that they are now terminating all techs. every year instead of just a layoff so in the winter you have to go through copra. The last couple years I worked there tg didn't pay my benefits but still took it out of my check. I got a letter one day saying I owed 5-6 hundred for benefits. So you won't be working for very competent managers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow they sound like a horror story Having a family and getting terminated each winter and having to go on Cobra Ins - that's about 1200 a month. How are they able to ramp up and start working again in FEB/MAR.
How many guys in Indianapolis did they have running routes and did they all do over 200K a year? The owners are making big $$'s at their employees expense Good for you getting out on your own. Probably doing 25% of the buisness you were and making more money
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Wow they sound like a horror story Having a family and getting terminated each winter and having to go on Cobra Ins - that's about 1200 a month. How are they able to ramp up and start working again in FEB/MAR.
How many guys in Indianapolis did they have running routes and did they all do over 200K a year? The owners are making big $$'s at their employees expense Good for you getting out on your own. Probably doing 25% of the buisness you were and making more money
Exactly, it was horrible for the last 5 years or so. Tg has 2 branches in Indianapolis(north and west) They have about 22 routes in both locations, my friend that still works there said that the branch manager last year was bragging to them in a meeting that they were going to profit a little over 2 million. He said that got him p.o. considering he made less and worked more. Personally last year I doubled my best year ever working there and did less than half the sqft. I guess the only positive I learned from them was marketing. As much as everybody hates them you have to agree they are really good at marketing. I have said it many times...They are a marketing company that just so happens to sell lawncare. By the way thanks barefoot for the comment.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ya, most of the guys that were hitting 200k had been there all year. Most of the guys were consistantly new so they were not hitting that much. They couldnt keep an employee to save there lives. That right there should tell you something.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I question their ethics period. They leave "courtesy" hangers on my door offering to treat a list of weeds in my yard. I would love to catch one and have him show me these weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device