Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never worked for Tru-Green but I did work for Scotts Lawn Service and they copied the Tru-Green business model. It totally sucked and led me to the point where I just walked away from them. So in essence, Tru-Green and Scotts are basically one and the same; long hours, working in unethical situations (snow, sleet, heavy downpours, etc...) and average paychecks at best. They will work you to the bone and they'll take up so much of your time, you won't have any time left over to spend with your family or to allow you to take on a 2nd job if you need to.

The only benefit that I can see is that you'll gain valuable knowledge in the area of fertilization. You'll also gain valuable knowledge on what not to do!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like they make you earn that time needed for your license. They figure you will grow to hate the business and not become a competitor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Come on - nobody here ever worked for TG and knows what kind of money those guys are paid What kind of benefits they offer
I worked there for a few years, but it was a few years ago and the pay might have changed. They would pay 350 per week and then commission for doing over 4700 worth of work each week. No overtime pay so working saturdays while you were making extra commission, it wasn't nearly worth it. They had full benefits but pretty expensive insurance.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

They left a letter in the mail saying if you dont want service please let them know. We didnt let them know so they serviced our lawn and then billed us. We had letter in junk mail pile and looled through it only after we saw the bill. Very unethica. It was many years ago and we never even heard if them until that point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

they're dickheads....
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I question their ethics period. They leave "courtesy" hangers on my door offering to treat a list of weeds in my yard. I would love to catch one and have him show me these weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
I get the same little flyers. I do all of my own treatments for my own lawn - so the only weed that has been present when I got one of these notices, was Bermuda, and they have enough problems controlling chinch bugs, so I doubt they can can control Bermuda.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I worked there from 2000 to 2007. Started as a limer, finished as a Commercial route manager. Gained lots of experience, some good some bad. As far as money, don't view it from an hourly perspective, you will be sad. Weekly you can average $750 or so depending on your efforts.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a lot of late dinners, missed family events and a recipe for marital discontent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

you would learn how to dilute your product down, and how yes round up kills all. Not a big fan of TG i would would work for a local company if i were you just my opinion. yes experience is good but from what i see you would have to learn all over again if you came to work for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyan6 View Post
you would learn how to dilute your product down, and how yes round up kills all. Not a big fan of TG i would would work for a local company if i were you just my opinion. yes experience is good but from what i see you would have to learn all over again if you came to work for me.
For real. I asked a TG applicator what he was applying (it was his first round). He said.. "heck if I know, they mix it back at the shop". ???