Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

i know i watch them all the time out spraying when its like 20mph winds i just drive buy and laugh. how do they ever get licensed
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its ok to spray colored water in 20mph winds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

that is true, lol
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I lasted 2 days for this place. I have never quit anything in my life but this. Absoloutely horrible. 101 degrees in August having to wear long pants, long sleeves and rubber boots all day long because we were spraying liquid chemicals. Spraying fert on yards that were knee high weeds because that's what the route paper said to do.

Using a freaking walk behind broadcast spreader on a yard that was by my estimation to be 40-60,000 square feet. You needed a tractor in my opinion. No lunches because if you took one you'd be out late trying to finish your route.

Like others said, get on with a lawn care company that is locally owned. You'll learn a LOT more about everything landscape related as opposed to spraying or spreading what "da man" put in the truck at the shop.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

oh yea and spraying when to hot out, i would advise you not to work for them bottom line. get with a golf coarse or local company
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget that Tru-Green and Scotts DO NOT PAY OVERTIME but they do load you up with so much work, you cannot get it done in 40 hours. Most guys at my Scotts location worked on average about 50 hours per week and others even more. Keep it in mind that if you want to be compensated fairly for your hard work, it won't happen if you choose these two; the McDonalds and Burger King of lawncare.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Worked there from 99-05'. LOTS of undermeasured lawns, doing acre jobs for the price of 1/2 acre. Lots of the techs did NOT get along with the salesman because of this. Consistent problem. And yes, 20mph plus winds and raining, your working!! The place was a joke. Great marketing company, poor service company. Dont get me wrong, there are some very good techs there that are quite knowledgeable. The money was actually pretty decent. Couild make a grand a week fairly easy back then which isnt too bad.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hissing Cobra, I presently work for Scotts Lawn Service (not a manager) and you are wrong on many fronts. I'm not sure what location you work/worked at, but I have a feeling you are lying or uninformed. Scotts (and Tru-Green) does pay overtime. It is not true overtime, but you do get paid half your hourly wage. Almost all of the time that you are working overtime you are getting paid more than your typical hourly wage because you are doing extra work that is over your weekly goal. That means I am making around at least 20% more than normal during overtime. Are there things I would change? Yes there is plenty. But I get paid a decent wage with good benefits ($35k; only $1200 for great health/dental/vision/life insurance). I get 3 weeks paid vacation plus a two week paid Christmas vacation and all the major holidays. You can make a lot of money getting sales in the field which absolutely boots your overtime pay. At my branch no one is forced to take layoff. Many of the guys want to and they choose to. We do no treat in downpours, only light rain (still not what I would like to do). We do not treat in snow or ice. I am about to take the state test to become a Certified Turfgrass Professional and I am sure I will pass because I study like crazy. We are not all idiots. I work my butt off for my customers and really do treat each lawn with care. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to new customers where the local guys have screwed up their lawns and I had to fix things up. It goes both ways.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

theyre dickheads...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEllis View Post
Hissing Cobra, I presently work for Scotts Lawn Service (not a manager) and you are wrong on many fronts. I'm not sure what location you work/worked at, but I have a feeling you are lying or uninformed. Scotts (and Tru-Green) does pay overtime. It is not true overtime, but you do get paid half your hourly wage. Almost all of the time that you are working overtime you are getting paid more than your typical hourly wage because you are doing extra work that is over your weekly goal. That means I am making around at least 20% more than normal during overtime. Are there things I would change? Yes there is plenty. But I get paid a decent wage with good benefits ($35k; only $1200 for great health/dental/vision/life insurance). I get 3 weeks paid vacation plus a two week paid Christmas vacation and all the major holidays. You can make a lot of money getting sales in the field which absolutely boots your overtime pay. At my branch no one is forced to take layoff. Many of the guys want to and they choose to. We do no treat in downpours, only light rain (still not what I would like to do). We do not treat in snow or ice. I am about to take the state test to become a Certified Turfgrass Professional and I am sure I will pass because I study like crazy. We are not all idiots. I work my butt off for my customers and really do treat each lawn with care. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to new customers where the local guys have screwed up their lawns and I had to fix things up. It goes both ways.
I am not wrong and none of what I posted was a lie. I worked there for three years after they bought the company that I was working for and everything I posted is the truth. It was literally painful. The company was always in "Go, go, go," mode and we did have to treat in downpours, ice, snow, etc... and the yearly turnover rates of employees was over 200% at some locations and at others it was over 300%? Of course, I don't speak for yourself or all of the other hard working guys/gals that work there. I know that there are a lot of good people in their company.

As for their overtime, either they pay it or they don't. The bottom line is that they don't. You said yourself that they pay only half your hourly wage + bonus money. To figure out your true hourly wage, take your entire paycheck and divide by the amount of hours that you've worked. You'll see for yourself. What good is making $35,000 per year if you've got to work 60 hours per week to get there? If you cut back to 40 hours per week, would you still be at $35,000? I highly doubt it! Figure out your salary and bonus money for 40 hours per week and I guarantee you it would be consistent with other jobs in your area as far as hourly wage is concerned.

Their business plan is setup so that the more hours you work, the less you're paid per hour. I know because I lived it on a weekly basis for three years. Their plan does not reward the guys for the quality of work, which takes a little bit longer to do per lawn. Their plan rewards the guys who cut all corners and run, skip, and hop over the lawns, all in the name of bonus money.

At the end of the day, it's all about happiness. If your happy there and you enjoy working there, that's great. Definitely enjoy it, learn as much as you can, and maybe someday you'll be able to be doing it for yourself and reaping the rewards.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 02-24-2011 at 07:23 AM.