Register free!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Its all about if your happy well put. And im not happy looking at what they do in my area. Im sure there are good techs out there for theses companies i just haven't seen them. These guys usually don't even know whats in the tank. Or how to mix, how much they are applying per sqft. just my 2 cents good luck to you hope your happy there.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hisssssssssssssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I am not wrong and none of what I posted was a lie. I worked there for three years after they bought the company that I was working for and everything I posted is the truth. It was literally painful. The company was always in "Go, go, go," mode and we did have to treat in downpours, ice, snow, etc... and the yearly turnover rates of employees was over 200% at some locations and at others it was over 300%? Of course, I don't speak for yourself or all of the other hard working guys/gals that work there. I know that there are a lot of good people in their company.

As for their overtime, either they pay it or they don't. The bottom line is that they don't. You said yourself that they pay only half your hourly wage + bonus money. To figure out your true hourly wage, take your entire paycheck and divide by the amount of hours that you've worked. You'll see for yourself. What good is making $35,000 per year if you've got to work 60 hours per week to get there? If you cut back to 40 hours per week, would you still be at $35,000? I highly doubt it! Figure out your salary and bonus money for 40 hours per week and I guarantee you it would be consistent with other jobs in your area as far as hourly wage is concerned.

Their business plan is setup so that the more hours you work, the less you're paid per hour. I know because I lived it on a weekly basis for three years. Their plan does not reward the guys for the quality of work, which takes a little bit longer to do per lawn. Their plan rewards the guys who cut all corners and run, skip, and hop over the lawns, all in the name of bonus money.

At the end of the day, it's all about happiness. If your happy there and you enjoy working there, that's great. Definitely enjoy it, learn as much as you can, and maybe someday you'll be able to be doing it for yourself and reaping the rewards.
Love it - hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

You are still wrong. Either they pay overtime or they don't. And Scotts does. I see it on my check every two weeks. I get paid extra for working more than 40 hours per week. It is that simple! And when I added up my hourly wage for anything that I worked over 40 hours last year, it was considerably more than what my standard hourly wage was. It is that way for almost every employee at Scotts.

Your post is ignorant and continues to be so even after being corrected. And that comes from a guy who is very unhappy with my company.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEllis View Post
You are still wrong. Either they pay overtime or they don't. And Scotts does. I see it on my check every two weeks. I get paid extra for working more than 40 hours per week. It is that simple! And when I added up my hourly wage for anything that I worked over 40 hours last year, it was considerably more than what my standard hourly wage was. It is that way for almost every employee at Scotts.

Your post is ignorant and continues to be so even after being corrected. And that comes from a guy who is very unhappy with my company.
Say what you will but overtime is supposed to be TIME AND A HALF and they DO NOT PAY THAT RATE. They disguise it in the form of bonus pay. I think you should go back and figure that out. Both Tru-Green and Scotts follow this pay philosophy and I'm not the only one on this board that can corroborate that.

Don't take my vandetta against Scotts too personally, it was NOT directed at you or any of the good employees that they have working there. It's directed at their poorly constructed business model. If their business model was good, their turnover rate wouldn't be in the stratosphere.

I hope you pass the test on becoming Certified in Turf Grass management. It shows that you're committed to being a true professional. I myself and Certified in Trees & Shrubs, courtesy of Scotts. I could have become certified in Lawns as well but I chose to move on. I actually have more experience with lawns than I do trees but I'm well rounded in both. I now have a Dealer's License as well. You can never have too many certifications, so keep on learning as much as you can.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Overtime is supposed to be exactly what the law says it is and this is what the law says. "Disguising" overtime pay in bonus pay that when all is said and done pays the same as if not more than time and a half is just a terrible pay scale.

I know you aren't attacking me personally. But the facts are the facts.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked there you was paid overtime but it went on a downsliding scale......it was called chinese overtime.

For an easy numbers example...........

If you had a $400/wk salary your hourly rate was $10/hr. So if you worked little or no production you was guarnteed you $400.

If you worked 50 hours this week and did not meet your weekly goal, not earning any bonus, then your hourly rate dropped to $8/hr ($400 salary divided by 50 hours) and you overtime was based on that rate.

The more hours you worked the less the rate was, discouraging you to work extra hours. In other words don't goof off and get your job done.

Commisions were separate from that.

Not starting an argument but that is the way it was when I worked there in the mid 90's

Terry
Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

That's how it works. But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale. The pay is fair.

By the way, I did not come here to argue with anyone or stick up for Scotts. I just wanted to learn more about landscaping and stumbled across this thread.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEllis View Post
But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale.
Why didn't you mention this in your first post? It's quite obvious that it's now a totally different pay scenario since I left them back in 2005. Also, what happens if you're in a saturated route where you have 90% of the customers in your area and you can't really make a new sale, I guess that bonus money isn't coming in your paycheck and your overtime pay wouldn't be anywhere near what it should be? Believe it or not, we had saturated routes like this on Cape Cod and new sales were hard to come by. The only thing we could really sell those customers were add-on services. It was definitely not the norm compared to other parts of the country, yet they tried to run our locations like the rest of them.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I love my boss. (me)
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They was trying to screw me on the other side.
I had to drive a minumum 45 minutes, sometimes well over an hour, to get to my first lawn and my daily goal was about the same as the guy 5 minutes out the door. I usually stopped by home a couple hours a day and cut grass or screwed off for a while before going back in, racking up hours but really not working. I figured if they wouldn't compensate for my drive time by lowering my goal then I would.
It may sound like I was a dishonest employee but it was not fair for me to have close to 3 hours drive time some days and still have to work the same production time as others 5 minutes away.

Terry