Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEllis View Post
That's how it works. But now they are paying out 10X the amount we used to get per sale. The pay is fair.

By the way, I did not come here to argue with anyone or stick up for Scotts. I just wanted to learn more about landscaping and stumbled across this thread.
All I know is that when I worked at tg they paid 15% of the total sale and then 5% once it was produced and it is still that way per a friend that still works there. I have a friend at Scotts also and he said its 50 bucks per sale. My question to you is "If your selling their lawn care, producing their lawn care and retaining their customers for them... What do you need them for?" Trust me I did work at tg for 9 yrs and it wasnt horrible at first but I was still getting screwed. The good paychecks were in the spring but you are working 60 hrs a week. Then in the fall when it dies down the pay was less than unemployment. The point is even if you dont want to work for yourself you can make more money working for a smaller lco and be able to slow down and take your time.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think I could ever work for them...they take no pride in there work and it seems like that doesnt matter to them. Today winds were blowing steady at 15 ALL day...i saw 3 different trucks going around spraying today..there is no way that product was reaching the target area. IT does not matter the weather..they still treat
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I dont think I could ever work for them...they take no pride in there work and it seems like that doesnt matter to them. Today winds were blowing steady at 15 ALL day...i saw 3 different trucks going around spraying today..there is no way that product was reaching the target area. IT does not matter the weather..they still treat
By product you mean water right?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah...well i talked to one the other day..they said pre em..but it never seems to work...wonder why?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TG are foolish for spraying Pre's this time of year. Spring is always windy - they need to use a good fert+pre. Trying to cut a fat hog they are.....
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I question their ethics period. They leave "courtesy" hangers on my door offering to treat a list of weeds in my yard. I would love to catch one and have him show me these weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny!!!

I used to have them do my yard (before I met you guys here) and now I have the best lawn in the neighborhood. TrueGreen drives down the road in shame now

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i know this is an older thread, but it brings back memories.. i just recently heard they started paying there techs by the hour this year, which i found interesting. i worked for them in 2004, guess i worked for them for a total of 8 years, i ended up there through them buying out the smaller company i worked for in 1996. i made less in 04' then i did in 97. it was like you made less and less every year because the goals went up as the prices dropped. it was salary back then, i remember making 37k a year at the highest, and by the time i got out i was making 29k a year working harder than ever before. it was a base salary usually anywheres from 300 to 700 weekly depending on how long you were there and 10% over your goal at one point (so if your goal was 5000, and you did 6000, you got 100 bucks extra plus the chinese overtime was like 5 bucks an hour so if you worked 50 hours to hit that goal you got another 50. (damn the chinese!) then they changed it to a much lower percent like 5%, + cancellation bonus which made it hard to make money because to many customers cancelling due to bad sales, for example... i'd show up to a new start in the middle of the projects.. no grass in sight. 40 oz bottles littering the yard wondering if i was gonna get shot or stabbed if i knocked at the door.. lol. or, the sales guy would lead the customer into thinking the program would do something un-realistic (like keep bugs out of the house or something.. lol). they did what they had to do to get the sale because the sales guys were under high pressure, if they didn't sell a certain amt. per week they were let go no questions.. every yard seemed to be measured at 3,000 sq. ft. even if it was 9k to 13k square foot really. the magic number was 29.00 per app, but they started doing some 24.95 apps at one point, which was meant for smaller lawns, but the sales guys would lie on the forms again, to get the sale, and i would be treating 8k sq. ft. for 24.95.. so on avg. i had to spray 40 to 50 yards just to get my goal plus handle any service calls everyday. i'd avg taking home 400 per week, avg'd about 60 hrs a week because we had to work every saturday. goals where around 1000 per day, but they would make it a 6 day goal which means you had to do the extra 1000 whether you came in on saturday to do it, or did it monday thru friday you could get saturday off.

the good thing was they had a service clean your uniforms everday, the batch fill system was nice because you could fill quickly at the end of a day, they called your call aheads for you. i had blue cross blue shield health care, and it was a good plan... + dental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Come on - nobody here ever worked for TG and knows what kind of money those guys are paid What kind of benefits they offer
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i remember one febuary we had snow on the ground for a day (not to much snow in metro ATL). i was told to go out and spray the snow covered lawns regardless... i was not to return to the branch without my number. i did what i had to do. sprayed down yards i couldn't really see, with the blue tracker dye in the mix. it was quite a messy sight to see. i remember having a trainee with me, i put in my 2 weeks notice not long after that. being on a trugreen truck and wearing the uniform was just an embarasment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyan6 View Post
i know i watch them all the time out spraying when its like 20mph winds i just drive buy and laugh. how do they ever get licensed
You think that tech wants to be out there spraying in 20mph winds, rain, snow, etc? They don't really have a choice, just doing their job.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNC View Post
You think that tech wants to be out there spraying in 20mph winds, rain, snow, etc? They don't really have a choice, just doing their job.
They have a choice. They wont fire you for doing the wright thing. I came in many times and told them I wouldnt spray on certain days. Yep, I would go out and wait a few hours, constantly check the weather and if I couldn't spray then I came in and told them why. They didn't like it but they wouldn't fire me. They have a choice, they are just worried about their paycheck, or to scared to stand up for the right thing to do. TG's turnover rate across the country is horrible, they don't just fire people.