Register free!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
They have a choice. They wont fire you for doing the wright thing. I came in many times and told them I wouldnt spray on certain days. Yep, I would go out and wait a few hours, constantly check the weather and if I couldn't spray then I came in and told them why. They didn't like it but they wouldn't fire me. They have a choice, they are just worried about their paycheck, or to scared to stand up for the right thing to do. TG's turnover rate across the country is horrible, they don't just fire people.
How did they keep things copacetic with the State regulatory agency? If any person holding a DOA license in Hawaii sprayed in wind or rain or had employees do so, that person would need to find another line of work. Weather conditions at the time and date of each application are part of the audited record. The DOA also has no problems getting out of their car to stop an application being made under improper weather conditions and conducting a full on the spot audit. Needless to say, TG/CL does not operate in my state.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Might be different in HI. Problem here is too much area, too many hacks, not enough money for enforcement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plenty of hacks here too. With the required license and insurance. But drift or runoff causing off target movement of product that someone calls in to the DOA and the party is over. Fudge an application record when the agent knows damned well that it was blowing 25-40 MPH that month and your azz is grass. I think the Hawaii DOA has an extremely small budget. The applicator's license is easy to obtain and even easier to lose. But the fines and criminal penalties usually put violators out of business first.

A few years ago, a Terminex salesman who saw me working struck up a conversation with me. He said TG/CL wanted to open up shop here. That was back in 2007. I still do not see them in the phone book.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

TruGreen is not the place to go for honest lawn care experience.I worked there as a lawn tech, was rated in the top 100 in the region, and didnt acheive that by following standard protocols. They are corrupt, evasive when you ask any questions, and generally stink
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's now been a year and four months since JMEllis posted about how great Scotts Lawn Service was. I wonder if he's still happy there?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at this point most of those trugreen techs are as unhappy as ever, a place that was that bad to work for in the 90's... got even worse. lol. hourly pay, more pay cuts. i swear, from 94 to 2004 i did more lawns, worked more hours and made less money every year till enough was enough. i am still in touch with many of my old co-workers, and they are miserable.. but they did it to themselves. of all the companies to go spray lawns for here, i don't see how anyone would want to be a tech for one of these companies for the rest of their life... i worked for a few and really all they want to do is get one over on the employees to increase there profit. i'll do it on my own, or i won't do it at all.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In another thread a poster says his friend has been a TG tech for 28 YEARS and couldn't be happier. I call BS as I never see the same tech twice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i know quite a few who have been there that long or longer.. happy.. not the word for it. more like.. stuck... its more like.. i went this far.. might as well keep going till i die. sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
In another thread a poster says his friend has been a TG tech for 28 YEARS and couldn't be happier. I call BS as I never see the same tech twice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd suggest working for a lc business with about 1000 to 3000 customers. You will learn much more. That's how I got started myself and worked every aspect of the business. I was hired to aerate 7 lawns a day. I then did treatments and then managed and did the books learning the software and routing. Then I started my own business and sold it. Then I started another business. The best way to go is to work for a business that isn't huge where if you show your worth, you can learn different aspects.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I worked for both Scotts and TG, Worked for Scotts at the same time as Hissing Cobra, at a neighboring branch and can definitely attest to everything he said about the company. After leaving there we both worked for the same distributor but at neighboring branches. The only good things about both companies are that they will train you, scotts trained better. You'll definitely learn what not to do. The biggest thing about working there, just about everyone I knew copied customer lists so that if they every started their own company they would have a good marketing list to start with with current lc customers, property sizes, billing rates, etc