Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I worked for both Scotts and TG, Worked for Scotts at the same time as Hissing Cobra, at a neighboring branch and can definitely attest to everything he said about the company. After leaving there we both worked for the same distributor but at neighboring branches. The only good things about both companies are that they will train you, scotts trained better. You'll definitely learn what not to do. The biggest thing about working there, just about everyone I knew copied customer lists so that if they every started their own company they would have a good marketing list to start with with current lc customers, property sizes, billing rates, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I worked for both Scotts and TG, Worked for Scotts at the same time as Hissing Cobra, at a neighboring branch and can definitely attest to everything he said about the company. After leaving there we both worked for the same distributor but at neighboring branches. The only good things about both companies are that they will train you, scotts trained better. You'll definitely learn what not to do. The biggest thing about working there, just about everyone I knew copied customer lists so that if they every started their own company they would have a good marketing list to start with with current lc customers, property sizes, billing rates, etc
Normally this would trip my ethics bone. But I think your doing the customers and the plants a favor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
It's now been a year and four months since JMEllis posted about how great Scotts Lawn Service was. I wonder if he's still happy there?
Sorry, too busy working 70 hours a week and Saturdays to keep up with this thread. It's a GREAT (I mean horrible) company. I am as happy as Conan O'Brien after checking the couch cushions for loose change when he had the Romney boys on his show.

Of course most of us still do bad work. I do good work. But I am not going to bash them for something they don't do, i.e. pay overtime.

Most everyone is trying to leave. Nothing has changed. Nor will it most likely ever.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Left working TG/CL around 20 years ago. "WOW". Amazing how it's been going on sooo long. You would think by know, even HO's all across the country should GET IT by now. Im sure some techs let it flow, often to them. In my world. Word spreads fast. It'll make or break ya. Why don't they suffer from this too? On the other hand. They could be the necessary evil! I guess they have to exist the way they do. If all these story's were the opposite and they had kickass lawns everywhere you looked, in every state. Most wouldn't be able to compete with them. They exist the way they do, so we all have the opportunity "not to be them". Thank them for your future customers. For if they didn't do it the way they do it. You couldn't do it the way you do it. Their be no need for "your service". They have to exist the way they do, its the laws of nature. So our side has reason to exist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if anyone is following these developments, but TruGreen and Scotts Lawn Service are getting sued by the lawn firm of Kennedy Hodges LLP for violations of the Fluctuating Workweek, specifically in not paying time and a half for overtime. The TruGreen lawsuit was filed in March of 2012. Kennedy Hodges have begun soliciting current and former employees into a collective civil lawsuit just this week (you have to opt into the lawsuit to be awarded an money). Soon before or after March 2012, TruGreen - as far as I know - changed their payroll practices and made most everyone work only 40 hours. I'm not sure if that was as a result of or anticipating the lawsuit, but if it wasn't it was a strange coincidence. It seems to be to be an admission of error. Have any of these types of lawsuits actually gone to trial? How were they decided? This is pretty big money. Just doing some of my own math, the TG lawsuit could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars and the Scotts one up to one hundred million dollars.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEllis View Post
Not sure if anyone is following these developments, but TruGreen and Scotts Lawn Service are getting sued by the lawn firm of Kennedy Hodges LLP for violations of the Fluctuating Workweek, specifically in not paying time and a half for overtime. The TruGreen lawsuit was filed in March of 2012. Kennedy Hodges have begun soliciting current and former employees into a collective civil lawsuit just this week (you have to opt into the lawsuit to be awarded an money). Soon before or after March 2012, TruGreen - as far as I know - changed their payroll practices and made most everyone work only 40 hours. I'm not sure if that was as a result of or anticipating the lawsuit, but if it wasn't it was a strange coincidence. It seems to be to be an admission of error. Have any of these types of lawsuits actually gone to trial? How were they decided? This is pretty big money. Just doing some of my own math, the TG lawsuit could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars and the Scotts one up to one hundred million dollars.
JM,

Are you going to opt into the lawsuit? I know I did and I hope that everyone who was on the receiving end of their pay scale will do so as well. Maybe not much will come of it but if there's something that will, I want to make sure they pay me for the pain they caused - even if it doesn't amount to much.

I was like you, a seriously hard worker who always did a correct, thorough job and I found out the hard way that I was putting myself at a serious disadvantage when compared to many of my co-workers. I worked more hours than them and got paid less. My lawns looked better than theirs, my customers were happy and I used to get the most tips from them at Christmas time. I also scored the most "happy" feedback notes to the office when they paid their bills. In short, I was one of the reps that Management could be counted on to solve any problem, do any type of work, and get the jobs done correctly. Yes, it took me a little bit longer but I didn't leave a trail of crap behind me. For that, I got paid less. It floored them when I "fired" them and never looked back.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that about sums up my experience at TG as well. I will run into a tech or manager now and again and they always try to tell me i should come back, "its better now.." And i got to fight the urge to kick them in the crotchal region.. Everybody i know now who has stuck around and still on a truck after 20+ years, they are all down on their luck... I left in 04, so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to opt in to any lawsuit, but i worked plenty of OT without time and a half back in the day! Looking back now, good times! I liked the experience, dealing with the customers... its all in the past now, thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
JM,

I was like you, a seriously hard worker who always did a correct, thorough job and I found out the hard way that I was putting myself at a serious disadvantage when compared to many of my co-workers. I worked more hours than them and got paid less. My lawns looked better than theirs, my customers were happy and I used to get the most tips from them at Christmas time. I also scored the most "happy" feedback notes to the office when they paid their bills. In short, I was one of the reps that Management could be counted on to solve any problem, do any type of work, and get the jobs done correctly. Yes, it took me a little bit longer but I didn't leave a trail of crap behind me. For that, I got paid less. It floored them when I "fired" them and never looked back.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
that about sums up my experience at TG as well. I will run into a tech or manager now and again and they always try to tell me i should come back, "its better now.." And i got to fight the urge to kick them in the crotchal region.. Everybody i know now who has stuck around and still on a truck after 20+ years, they are all down on their luck... I left in 04, so i'm sure i wouldn't be able to opt in to any lawsuit, but i worked plenty of OT without time and a half back in the day! Looking back now, good times! I liked the experience, dealing with the customers... its all in the past now, thank god.
I just read your post from last year and it was very informative. Could you elaborate on this Chinese overtime I have seen discussed? Are the bosses Chinese?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I just read your post from last year and it was very informative. Could you elaborate on this Chinese overtime I have seen discussed? Are the bosses Chinese?
Just in case your not kidding. Chinese OT is where the more hours you work the more they lower your base
pay. Legal as long the base doesn't drop below minimum wage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they had some kinda formula, and yeah they called it chineese overtime. However, I never saw anyone chineese, mabee they were higher up on the corporate ladder. lol.. It was 10 years ago, hard to remember. I used to know the formula they use, we signed off the sheet every week.. to long ago to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post