Register free!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Good luck. I have atleast 3-5 calls a day mostly from mexicans. We are not hiring because of Obama Care and liberal terds in office are doubling unemployment comps up.
Any hiring from me now is day laborers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
yamadooski

I am currently at a 4.41% workers Comp Rate. Back in 2004 I was paying 12.3% for the same spray tech coverage. 12.6 Mowing and 12.9 Landscape Install. My point is I have only seen Worker Comp go down.

BTW Yes Abomination & friends need to go.
Do have to agree on the work comp., my mowing is now under 4.0%, a few years back it was over 13.0%
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Do have to agree on the work comp., my mowing is now under 4.0%, a few years back it was over 13.0%
Z turn

I remember Landscape install was 12.9% because I paid it on everyone. I might have the Mowing and Spraying rates mixed up. Any time a shovel is put in the ground the higher interest rate applies. Rates are set by the state and no insurance company can charge lower. However they can offer perks such as Payroll service. I used a company out of Sarasota and paid as I went on all taxes etc. With the 12.9% workers comp rate my labor burden was 25% which I paid each week. I never had to worry about quarterly reports or payment etc, they were part of my deal and I was a very happy camper. It would have cost me more to do it in house.

Today I am worker Comp Exempt but I checked on the 4.41% rate for Pesticide application at the beginning of this year. I have been considering doing a Upscale form of Rent A License and would need Workers Comp. Of course it would be done totally legal. I am considering doing more of a Training school with the end results of getting a CPO after actually working for me and making your own money. But that is still in the works as an other retirement plan.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
My wife and I finally got orders out of Alaska. Looks like we will be heading to Eglin AFB near Pensacola. We'll be driving down this July and I am hoping to find work quickly. Not sure what the job market is like down there, but I have to work. If anyone in the area needs a new employee I can send a resume. I won't be starting up my own business down there any time soon, but would love to be in the "green biz".

Doug

Wow, forced to relocate to Florida, man that sucks! Brutal Heat, brutal cold winters, skeeters, no hurricanes lately, oil polluting our Gulf waters...Welcome to Florida dude.

I'm sure with your military background, you could find a good local job, though not sure it would be in the green biz, hourly pay isn't great, the work is tough, the heat index will be 100+ in the summer, Monsoon type rains, etc etc but if that is what you want to do, go for it.

Are you going to live in Pensacola or nearer to Eglin?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds better than Alaska.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

the economy really sucks down there right now.... i wouldnt try to do anything too risky.... although i have a background in turf, i was doing real estate, it totally fell apart....nothing can be supported right now in a tourist based economy.... and of course the oil spill image....all john deere landscapes up in fort walton... theyll tell you what's up....
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Sounds better than Alaska.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oophs your right, I forgot that Sarah Palin Lives in Alaska! I wonder if she can see Florida from Alaska???

Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAhaulboy View Post
Wow, forced to relocate to Florida, man that sucks! Brutal Heat, brutal cold winters, skeeters, no hurricanes lately, oil polluting our Gulf waters...Welcome to Florida dude.

I'm sure with your military background, you could find a good local job, though not sure it would be in the green biz, hourly pay isn't great, the work is tough, the heat index will be 100+ in the summer, Monsoon type rains, etc etc but if that is what you want to do, go for it.

Are you going to live in Pensacola or nearer to Eglin?
Brutal heat yes......brutal cold, are you kidding? skeeters, I had more in MA. with all the skeeter control by spray trucks helicopters and planes I barely see any skeeters here, period. Oil in Gulf? Not here, not one drop, but your in destin and I think they scooped a ball or two from the sand, but not a big deal at all. Florida has its pit falls I just dont think you named them. Hurricanes on the gulf side are about forty five years apart. Again I saw more hurricanes in MA and thats a fact believe it or not. (gulf side)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Brutal heat yes......brutal cold, are you kidding? skeeters, I had more in MA. with all the skeeter control by spray trucks helicopters and planes I barely see any skeeters here, period. Oil in Gulf? Not here, not one drop, but your in destin and I think they scooped a ball or two from the sand, but not a big deal at all. Florida has its pit falls I just dont think you named them. Hurricanes on the gulf side are about forty five years apart. Again I saw more hurricanes in MA and thats a fact believe it or not. (gulf side)
Don't bust us up with talk of rugged Cape Cod rhetoric first thing in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Don't bust us up with talk of rugged Cape Cod rhetoric first thing in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
was in marthas vineyard July, no better place in the world in the SUMMER frozen ghost town in the winter.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
was in marthas vineyard July, no better place in the world in the SUMMER frozen ghost town in the winter.
Were you there trimming the bushes or hanging out with the Bushs'?
Posted via Mobile Device