Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Upsell, Upsell, Upsell!

Just a friendly reminder to upsell your services at ever opportunity you get.

Just the other day I was asked to trim some monkey grass for one of my customers, I know that another customer that lives down the street also has some monkey grass that will need to be trimmed, so I sent him a friendly email sorta like this...

"Dear Bill Bob,

One of my customers has asked me to trim their monkey grass and I'm going to be right down the street from your house, would you like me to trim your's while I'm at it? If you are, let me know and I'll let you know how much it will cost.

Thanks"

His reply? "Sure, go ahead"

So even if a customer doesn't ask for a service, politely offer (DON'T force it) and they will often say "sure, go ahead".

Anyone else have any neat upselling stories?
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I try to sell mulch or pinestraw installation to every single yard I walk on....."You know once I get the grass looking good, cleaning out the overgrowth out of those beds and laying down some mulch or pinestraw will really get your neighbors jealous." Works everytime. Then you go next door and say, Hi, I just finished doing a mulch/pinestraw job at your neighbors and wanted to see if you were interested in getting your yard looking a little cleaner and more organized with by cleaning out those beds and putting down some fresh mulch or pinestraw.. (give them 2 days to look at the yard you just did and think about how they need their yard looking better.).. They say yes the yard next door looks great you did a great job I would love you to do mine just like that.... Then make your way down the street spreading mulch/straw and picking up checks... The trick to this is that you have to do a wonderful job (as you should on any property that you step on to. If they think your work looks like garbage then you lose at this game, I always take extra time to make sure it looks PERFECT the day that I finish up a big job so the homeowner knows what the potential is for their yard).... Next thing you know now you have 3 more clients on the same street that you have talked into letting you take care of their lawn maintenance for the grass cutting season also since they loved the work you did on their shrubs so much.... good luck!!!

Tags
advertising , business , upselling