Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodfather24D View Post
I see your point if their yard is a desert, and they don't as well put any effort in the landscape. My point was merely that irrigation is not always needed in conjunction with spraying. I have managed several hundred acres of parks with weed control and fertilizer programs without irrigation. But nothing pisses me off more than working hard for a lawn and then seeing the client piss it away. Makes you wanna make a gravel pit.
You understand the feeling. I get upset with my tenants when they park their cars in the yard or fill it with junk. It happens so often that I put in concrete poles or large coral rocks to keep them out. I am probably the only landlord who makes an effort to have a nice landscape, especially since the homes I have are in not so nice areas. Lately I have been switching to retirees who complain more but cause less damage. They love the green lawns and trees, hedges, flowers, etc. It amazes me that customers in more affluent areas would spend the money on a landscape, only to let it fail. Around here we can go from October-May and get only 4 inches of rain. When the summer comes it rains every other day and the weeds are impossible! I usually put gravel in the swale but in the summer it turns into sandspur heaven.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I absolutely understand, I used to manage those public parks and sportfields only to see them destroyed by baseball dads fourwheelers. Their response was typically its just grass. In your gravel area you might try dimension from down agro, its a pre-em I have used in areas like that.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

*dow agro I meant
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good tip there. I never knew it was allowed to use motorized vehicles in a park. Around here the worst you see is bicycles. Lately I have used the swale as a place to dump mulch, and brazillian pepper mulch seems to kill just about anything. I remulched in January using christmas trees I collected, and so far those swales remain weed free. The test comes in the summer. Believe it or not, I have yet to have a pest problem at any of my homes.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have never thought of pepper mulch. Makes sense. The people around here don't see the need to walk anywhere and see smooth beautiful turf as a green carpet for their minivans. One reason I'm out of parks and rec now. They want golf course results with no budget and no rules for user groups.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I hate seeing chemicals used to grow grass you cannot eat or smoke.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!