Register free!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How many unemployed start lawn biz?

I always wonder about this, Prices in my area seem to be at an all time low, I don't really go for houses any more, cant compete with $65 monthly.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I always wonder about this, Prices in my area seem to be at an all time low, I don't really go for houses any more, cant compete with $65 monthly.
South

Great Question, But I am not sure there is a way to count that high. Most of these Fly by Night Yard Boys don't even get the $ 35.00 occupational License. Therefore there is no way to accurately counting them.

In good times we only had the Northern Losers who came to Florida to sponge off Grandma. They soon rolled Grandpa's old Crapsman out of the Car port and became Florida Landscape Experts. Now every out of work construction worker is a Yard Boy. My Area has 15% unemployment but I am lucky enough to have a few of those upscale retired Dinosaurs that want a nice yard.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well there was a time when most lawns were mowed by kids. They never had a tax number and only worked for cash or their allowance.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well there was a time when most lawns were mowed by kids. They never had a tax number and only worked for cash or their allowance.
there was also a time when people didnt sue if you got hurt on thier property. . theyd tell you tough ****, bandage yourself up and finish the job or gtfo. .
Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYCINC View Post
there was also a time when people didnt sue if you got hurt on thier property. . theyd tell you tough ****, bandage yourself up and finish the job or gtfo. .
Yes, the days when the US was the envy of the world. Now we are a bad joke heading for total collapse. I am still amazed to see the unemployed paying for lawn service while they and their kids sit on their lazy butt. Perhaps a new hunting season on lawyers can correct the problem.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Torte reform, tax reform and a return of ethics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rick Scott our new Governor has come out in favor of promoting all Business here in Florida. He wants to cut business taxes and red tape.

I personally feel he could do more for legal business where Certification or Register License are required, If he cracked down on those doing Illegal work with out the Licenses. I am talking Roofs on down to the guy who clears the Lot. Of Course the Pesticide industry has the biggest number of Illegal applicators.

Other side of the coin is a few thousand Scrub would be out of business and Prices for Legal certified work would raise.

So I guess there is no real answer because the cost to clean up the illegals wouldn't be looked upon favorable in the Big Picture.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Or Rick could make it easier to be legal. You can never get rid of the illegals. They will just work for a "legal" contractor who will overcharge the customer and underpay his labor. Make it easier to start a legal business and let people work for a living instead of collecting a check.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Or Rick could make it easier to be legal. You can never get rid of the illegals. They will just work for a "legal" contractor who will overcharge the customer and underpay his labor. Make it easier to start a legal business and let people work for a living instead of collecting a check.
Tallrick

I think you have a better chance of going on welfare than getting licensing requirement lowered. But then that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i myself dont want things lowered.... i got an idea lets lower the requirements to be a doctor....