Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I want my irrigation license!

So when we do installs we can keep it all in house. Only thing is we need 3yrs of experience. Who's hiring lol.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
So when we do installs we can keep it all in house. Only thing is we need 3yrs of experience. Who's hiring lol.
These licenses are only there to limit the competition. Of course they make them next to impossible to get. Maybe a group of us needs to lobby the county commissioners to change the requirements. That's the Wall street way!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
These licenses are only there to limit the competition. Of course they make them next to impossible to get. Maybe a group of us needs to lobby the county commissioners to change the requirements. That's the Wall street way!
Tallrick

ONE MORE TIME PEOPLE, PLEASE UNDERSTAND IT THIS TIME. IF YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND IT THIS TIME. Then LIVE WITH IT BECAUSE I DON"T MAKE THE LAWS I ONLY TRY AND LIVE WITHIN THEM.

The 3 year Requirement to sit for the test is there to be sure the Irrigation Contractor knows his stuff. The same as the Pesticide test. I have tried to explain over and over again it is not the Theory of Irrigation or Plumbing that makes it hard. It is the Thousand different Manufactures that make the same fixture. As a Licensed Irrigation contractor you are expected to be able to repair an other contractors work. Also there is a Plumbing Code that must be followed if the system is to pass inspection.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Truth Be told I bought a Irrigation company and had the previous owner signed me off as a employee for 3 years so I could sit for the test..
Just do it this way........
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Just do it this way........
Greg

You need a sharp knife to cut the mustard, not a butter knife.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Funny thing is .... despite the "hard" requirements, irrigation in FL is the joke of the land.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Tallrick

ONE MORE TIME PEOPLE, PLEASE UNDERSTAND IT THIS TIME. IF YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND IT THIS TIME. Then LIVE WITH IT BECAUSE I DON"T MAKE THE LAWS I ONLY TRY AND LIVE WITHIN THEM.

The 3 year Requirement to sit for the test is there to be sure the Irrigation Contractor knows his stuff. The same as the Pesticide test. I have tried to explain over and over again it is not the Theory of Irrigation or Plumbing that makes it hard. It is the Thousand different Manufactures that make the same fixture. As a Licensed Irrigation contractor you are expected to be able to repair an other contractors work. Also there is a Plumbing Code that must be followed if the system is to pass inspection.
No. If a person can learn irrigation on his own and pass the tests, why is that not sufficient? Perhaps the tests are too easy so that less than the best can pass it? It does not take 3 years to learn irrigation, perhaps 3 months is too long as well. Personally I believe that licensing should be optional, and the customer can choose whether to hire a qualified contractor or get a cheap hack job. Most irrigation here is independent of the potable water supply anyway. It is not hard to repair a sprinkler system, or install one that can last for decades and perform well.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would you want to live in a house built by unlicensed/untested contractors? Every day I see streets getting watered, popups in flower beds and sticking 6" above the turf. We can't afford to waste water and you won't learn design and install in 3 months. Trades are taught in a step fashion, apprentice, journeyman and master. You can't read a book and become a skilled tradesman.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

" Personally I believe that licensing should be optional, and the customer can choose whether to hire a qualified contractor or get a cheap hack job. "

If licensing was not mandatory how would the homeowner know the diferrence between a hack job and a quality job ?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"It does not take 3 years to learn irrigation, perhaps 3 months is too long as well. "

WHAAAT, . I was installing systems in the late 70's for two different licensed contractors as well as spending a year with a plumbing contractor in the early 80's when I got out of this business for a while. I learn something new all the time, 3 months does not make anyone a competent installer or repair tech.