Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler TrimStar

Does anyone run the Hustler TrimStar? What do you think of it? Pros vs Cons
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump for a thread Id like some feedback on too. From my own bit of research, it looks like a thoroughly top notch machine.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tried one and did not like it. Just as I did not like the Pro V Scag. Just dont like the controls over Exmark, Toro and Bobcat.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have an 08 model (non current). Got approximately 400hrs on it. I put on a donaldson filter system after 30hrs because the kawi set up collects a lot of dirt quick. Controls are good, you will most likely wear gloves or tie the operator presence bars up, as the rub your hands. I have a pro one sulky on mine and that works well. The factory bagger works but not ideal for large qtys of leaves.

My deck clogs under very wet conditions but cut is still decent. In dry it cuts fine.

Warranty repairs, engine coil, frame replaced (from factory the welder wasn't lined up right).

Non warranty repairs, set of hand grips, front wheel bearins (twice), front castor bushings, fuel pump (don't let the recoil loose it can fling back at the pump).

Maintence, oil changes every 50hrs, hydro fliter/oil every season, blades.

Willing to sell it for $3500 if anyone wants one, going to replace it with another vride.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we switched to Hustler about 4 years ago from Toro. I really don't have any complaints other then the handle bar grips always need fixed, several of our frames have broken (the factory has of course replaced with new ones) and several of the spindles have worn out pretty fast in my opinion. The quality of the cut is excellent, they stripe very nice around here.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudslinginFX4 View Post
we switched to Hustler about 4 years ago from Toro. I really don't have any complaints other then the handle bar grips always need fixed, several of our frames have broken (the factory has of course replaced with new ones) and several of the spindles have worn out pretty fast in my opinion. The quality of the cut is excellent, they stripe very nice around here.
Sounds like a lot of complaints to me. Did you have that much trouble with the Toro's
Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't feel like the Toro's cut as good once they got 800+ hours on them, i don't know why, just my opinion. We have over 15 Hustlers now between riders and walkbehinds so even with the problems mentioned it really isn't a lot.

The main reason i switched from Toro is my dealer was really pusing the Hustlers, at the time they were cheaper, and they also came with a better warranty.

My next round of mowers we might look at something totally different, i'll have to see who has the best at that time.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I run a Super walk Behind, aka old model trimstar. I love the machine, really stable and surprisingly agile for its weight and length. The new trimstars are shorter and more compact so i imagine they are awesome! I took the OPC switches off of mine because I bought the machine used and they were tied up, never used them and when i un-zip tied them the switches were worn and didnt work anyway so i took the entire assembly off.

The deck is pretty good under most conditions, but the cut overall doesnt quite compare to my Exmark Metro. However the machine lays down an awesome stripe!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The brand new hustler trimstars are more like the old Super WB. They are a tough well built mower.

I personaly love the hustler drive system. Its still the only one I can run one handed on the side of a hill. I allways let guys demo it on our highway road bank. Its about a 55 degree hill and you need cleets to walk up it. But the hustler will hold it as I walk along the bottom of the hill and operate it one handed. ( hustler disclaimer, your should not operate your mower one handed at the bottom of a hill) But it will do it!
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
The brand new hustler trimstars are more like the old Super WB. They are a tough well built mower.

I personaly love the hustler drive system. Its still the only one I can run one handed on the side of a hill. I allways let guys demo it on our highway road bank. Its about a 55 degree hill and you need cleets to walk up it. But the hustler will hold it as I walk along the bottom of the hill and operate it one handed. ( hustler disclaimer, your should not operate your mower one handed at the bottom of a hill) But it will do it!
I second that. The drive system is much better than any other walkbehind out there. But than my cub and my exmark walkbehinds.

My only dislike is not having a 60" deck option, and the decks are not very deep. My exmark does cut a little better. But the huslter stripes better.

Some high notes on the hustler walkbehinds. Widest and largest tires of all walkbehinds, better stability and less tearing of turf. Only walkbehind that you can change the height of the deck from your operating stance, most are very complicated to change the deck height. Takes the least amount of time to learn for someone who has never used a walkbehind. And a very good transmission system. Not bullet proof, but seemless and tons of torque.

Last edited by maelawncare; 01-24-2011 at 03:39 PM.