Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

? About grading and excavation services

I have been tossing around the idea of expanding my business towards small excavation and grading and leveling. Right now our services are limited to lawn maintenance and small landscaping. I don't have experience with running skid steers or mini excavators but I am willing to learn and get experience. What services would I be limited to with these machines? However, I don't want to buy a machine and it not pay for itself.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

rent as you need that is how you start
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you need more then just a machine...while renting is your option there nobody is going to want to pay for a crappy job...not saying you will leave it that way but having no experience doesn't help...

anyone can run a skidloader..it takes skill to operate equipment and some people have it, others don't

i would find a buddy with a lot of land and do a lot of practicing before you have someone pay you to do it...nothing worse then putting a bad reputation on your businesses name
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Experience is the first thing you need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

We have 40 acres of ground so I will get some practice in before I take on some jobs. I am about to build a shop so I will rent one and do some of the grading for the slab to get some seat time.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed wacker 2 View Post
We have 40 acres of ground so I will get some practice in before I take on some jobs. I am about to build a shop so I will rent one and do some of the grading for the slab to get some seat time.
That would be a good start. Just be careful of the jobs that you take to start untill you feel comfertable in the machines. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

weedwacker.......read the thread. skids are nice, i have one......i would suggest looking at a mini skid - maybe a ditchwitch 650 and try that also.....not as glamerous as a skid, but incredibly practical.......a lot of the scapers who are successful around here have them.....great for yards.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

It may be easier to start taking on bigger landscaping jobs before you decide to start doing the excavation and grading. We were in your situation (somewhat) last year and I ended up getting an awesome deal on a bobcat. Pretty quickly I realized how much faster I can knock out the landscape work on jobs that I wouldn't have considered renting a skid for in the past, for about the same price. Now I'm starting to transition into large landscape jobs and bidding on excavation/ grading. I actually just sold my mowing accounts to focus on using the skid and dump trailer as much as possible. In my opinion you should try to grow into more of a full service landscape company rather than having two competely seperate divisions of mowing and excavation. Once you get into the landscape construction, it'll be a lot easier to transition into the excavation and grading. - Sam

SEMPER FI
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

S&S gave you great advice. Having my skid steer for over a year now I realize how much more effiecent work i can do. I put in alot of lawns in my area and on an average I can do 2 to three a day with my machine when before i could only do 1. Remember if you market it right and have conections for people to get you jobs with the machine it is literly a license to print MONEY
Honda mowers
All STHL power tools
bobcat 743b
2005 Ram 2500 Cummings
1972 M35a2 (Duece and a half w dump bed)
2002 ram 3500 12ft stake body cummings
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ahh, confetti does not drop from the sky if you have a skid...

Trust me, everyone and their brother has a 'bobcat' and are the world's best operator too. If you are in maintenance why not add a mini skid or ASV 30 with some attachments that will compliment what you are doing?