Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own Bobcats, trenchers, a dozer and several skid steer attachments and never got into the business. All I do is maintain properties I own, and the occasional cash or barter job. My main money maker has been repairing equipment, so the machines provided valuable experience to practice repairs and making hoses. As for operating I agree that finding a place to use the machine and doing it is important. I used to watch others do their jobs when I was younger to get ideas. Generally I could disassemble and rebuild a machine before I had any real experience running one. My first skid steer was a trade for trailer tires I cleaned and mounted. Once I had assembled the skid steer (Mustang 1700) I set out to figure out how to run it. After almost 25 years I never had the heart to get rid of that machine.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed wacker 2 View Post
I have been tossing around the idea of expanding my business towards small excavation and grading and leveling. Right now our services are limited to lawn maintenance and small landscaping. I don't have experience with running skid steers or mini excavators but I am willing to learn and get experience. What services would I be limited to with these machines? However, I don't want to buy a machine and it not pay for itself.
I think you are making a mistake. Keep doing what you are and expand when you are ready. Buying a piece of equipment thinking that you are going to make money selling it as a service is a mistake. I think most will agree we bought our equipment to help make what we are currently doing more productive and cost effective. Finding work for a machine is a lot harder that you would think.
Posted via Mobile Device