Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2002, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should I upgrade Quickbooks?

I am still using QB version 6.0 (from like 1998). I am sure they have made a lot of improvements over the years but I haven't had a need to upgrade. I mostly use QB just for monthly invoicing and keeping track of customers' payments. I have a payroll service so I don't use QB for that at all.

I wouldn't mind upgrading. But I am a little scared to upgrade because I saw quickbooks heading in a direction I didn't like - where they wanted to have monthly or yearly payments, otherwise the program would stop working. I don't like that at all. If I buy a program, I expect it to be valid for years to come, and not have to pay a "renewal fee" just to keep it working.

Now, this may only apply to the payroll side of things. And if that's the case, then I don't mind. But I don't want to pay all of this money for a new QB Program only to get a message in a year that says, "You need to pay $XX.XX or else QB will quit working."

So, for those of you who have a newer version of QB, can you help me with this?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-09-2002, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jim,

We have Quickbooks Pro 99 and do just fine. The most important part of Quickbooks for me personally are the reports section...P & L, Cash Flow, AR's, etc.

Hope that helps.

Rod
Old 09-09-2002, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

qb upgrade

i have qbpremier pro pd around $200 maybe less. i don't use payroll but use the other features in the program. they do have a good payroll feature with updates. i up graded from qb 2000

Old 09-10-2002, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Should I upgrade Quickbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by jimlewis
I am still using QB version 6.0 (from like 1998). I am sure they have made a lot of improvements over the years but I haven't had a need to upgrade. I mostly use QB just for monthly invoicing and keeping track of customers' payments. I have a payroll service so I don't use QB for that at all.

I wouldn't mind upgrading. But I am a little scared to upgrade because I saw quickbooks heading in a direction I didn't like - where they wanted to have monthly or yearly payments, otherwise the program would stop working. I don't like that at all. If I buy a program, I expect it to be valid for years to come, and not have to pay a "renewal fee" just to keep it working.

Now, this may only apply to the payroll side of things. And if that's the case, then I don't mind. But I don't want to pay all of this money for a new QB Program only to get a message in a year that says, "You need to pay $XX.XX or else QB will quit working."

So, for those of you who have a newer version of QB, can you help me with this?
There doesn't seem to be a trend to charges except for the payroll tax updates. So if you aren't using payroll, you are probably ok.

They either have or will completely quit supporting versions prior to 2000 I believe, so if you have any needs for technical support you will be out of luck.

Otherwise, you don't need to upgrade unless some of the new features are beneficial.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I would not recommend upgrading. I setup a lot of people on quickbooks, and for the basics (invoicing, cash flows/balance sheet/Profit & loss) not much has changed over the past 6 years or so. I would just recommend keeping a copy of the original program and backing up periodically. I know some people that have been using the same quickbooks program for 5 years with no upgrades and no problems. No need to buy a new program, we are in this business to make money. As for technical support you may not have that option in the future. but if you backup regularly and keep a copy of your original program you can always reinstall.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

quick books pro2002 has some neat new features like mark which invoices are paid, a better search engine and more, I was using qb2001pro and those little changes made worth the upgrade for me, I only paid $149.00 after rebate, I have spend a lot more money just on sodas & chips.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Aztlan. That's what I was looking for. I figured there were probably at least a few upgrades that would make it worth it. There are some things that really bug me in my current version of QB which I figured are probably fixed in the newer versions.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Banned

i have quickbooks pro 2001 and it works great. however, it is for a number of different businesses. i am thinking about looking into the lawn monkey software. a buddy of mine uses it and he says its only for lco's.

shep
Old 09-12-2002, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to upgrade to QBPro2002 because QuickBooks decided to drop support for the payroll section of QB98. If you don't update the payroll section regularly, QB simply will not allow you to process payroll, even if there have been no changes.

What ROYALLY pisses me off about QBPro2002 are the advertisements!!!!! On virtually every screen the program has ads (they are web links, but I consider them ads) at the bottom of the screen for extra services. If this was a free program, I could understand ads, but not when I paid for it.

If you aren't doing payroll, and you are still happy with QB98, I wouldn't update.