Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
hydromulch seeding
is he hydroseeding a pile of rocks??????/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I happen to own a hydroseeder. I would agree that if the bahia died out there is a reason, However it can be fixed with hydroseeding or slit seeding just not with Bahia. Use bermuda!!!! Dont know why the rest of the southern united states uses Bermuda as the #1 turf grass while florida is in love with sa and bahia???
Good question about Bahia instead of Bermuda.

The more I see COMMON Bermuda, the more and more I like it and feel too many people are missing the boat by not embracing it. My Back ground having a degree in Golf Course Management made me not even look at Bermuda and there were no or few Bermuda Lawns to speak of. My first experience with Common Bermuda was as a Utility turf and I had a good deal of respect for that Utility Turf. But Now I am seeing decent Common Bermuda lawns being maintained for very reasonable costs and looking great. Hybrid Bermuda cut short on a Golf Course is any thing but Affordable.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Tri-City Outdoors Tri-City Outdoors is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweating in Sunny Florida
Posts: 147
The most likely the reason the turf is so dead is lack of care. But now we will test the soil. This is why I posted sometimes we get set in our ways and to wrapped up in bid. The soil test is so elementary and should have been my first thought.

Bermuda, Pensacola or Argentine Bahia are the choices. We most likely use Argentine Bahia. But have not decided
Dose anyone have any experience with Tifton 9 Pensacola Bahia or know wheere to get the seed in East Central Florida.
Wish we had an hydro-seeder but not at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
The most likely the reason the turf is so dead is lack of care. But now we will test the soil. This is why I posted sometimes we get set in our ways and to wrapped up in bid. The soil test is so elementary and should have been my first thought.

Bermuda, Pensacola or Argentine Bahia are the choices. We most likely use Argentine Bahia. But have not decided
Dose anyone have any experience with Tifton 9 Pensacola Bahia or know wheere to get the seed in East Central Florida.
Wish we had an hydro-seeder but not at this time.
Tri

Tifton Ga is the Turf research center and I have no experience with Tifon 9 Pensacola Bahia. I can only assume it is a cultivar of the Pensacola Bahia I grew for hay.

Pensacola Bahia is a clumping grass that sends up Seed heads at certain time of the year 2 to 3 days after mowed. Pensacola will grow taller than Argentine, But Argentine grows lower to the ground and Thicker than Pensacola. Both are Pasture Grasses or Hays. But Argentine will produce more hay per acre than Pensacola because of the same growth pattern that makes is a home lawn.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
The most likely the reason the turf is so dead is lack of care. But now we will test the soil. This is why I posted sometimes we get set in our ways and to wrapped up in bid. The soil test is so elementary and should have been my first thought.

Bermuda, Pensacola or Argentine Bahia are the choices. We most likely use Argentine Bahia. But have not decided
Dose anyone have any experience with Tifton 9 Pensacola Bahia or know wheere to get the seed in East Central Florida.
Wish we had an hydro-seeder but not at this time.
my vote....scrap the bahia and seed bermuda. Creeps like sa is more drought tolerant than bahia, softer texture than both. Slit seed it. Trust me, I talk people out of hydroseeding now because it is way more work than the slitseeding and you get the same results
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
my vote....scrap the bahia and seed bermuda. Creeps like sa is more drought tolerant than bahia, softer texture than both. Slit seed it. Trust me, I talk people out of hydroseeding now because it is way more work than the slitseeding and you get the same results
Yo

Bermuda is actually fairly easy to keep weed free compared to Bahia or St Augustine. There are in fact Herbicides like MSME that will slowly kill Bahia while allowing Bermuda to grow in. In other words you can develop a mono stand of Bermuda fairly easy and inexpensive.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Yo

Bermuda is actually fairly easy to keep weed free compared to Bahia or St Augustine. There are in fact Herbicides like MSME that will slowly kill Bahia while allowing Bermuda to grow in. In other words you can develop a mono stand of Bermuda fairly easy and inexpensive.
Ric and FL landscape ,

I take it bermuda is a little more common in your guys part of FL? I can not recall seeing a lawn that was actually intentionally bermuda here in CFL, golf courses yes, lawns NO.

What is your guys take on how it would grow here in the Orlando market? I got a feeling my neighbors would really love if I replaced my SA with Bermuda. The wild bermuda is a big enough issue already.

Speaking of which, Ric I got a couple small batches in my lawn. I was going to just RU and resod. Tell me about your mixture and what you would charge for the mix per 1K. I think 1K would be more than enough to get the areas I currently have it blended in.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric and FL landscape ,

I take it bermuda is a little more common in your guys part of FL? I can not recall seeing a lawn that was actually intentionally bermuda here in CFL, golf courses yes, lawns NO.

What is your guys take on how it would grow here in the Orlando market? I got a feeling my neighbors would really love if I replaced my SA with Bermuda. The wild bermuda is a big enough issue already.

Speaking of which, Ric I got a couple small batches in my lawn. I was going to just RU and resod. Tell me about your mixture and what you would charge for the mix per 1K. I think 1K would be more than enough to get the areas I currently have it blended in.
Actually it isnt popular here either. I just dont know why?????? Bermuda is the #1 turf grass in the southern united states!!! But florida fell in love with sa, a grass with little wear tolerance, chinch bug and grub issues, must be repaired vegativlely because seeds are too small to harvest, needs lots of water and fert, is course......bermuda, soft blades, can be used as a low utility, medium grade or super high end fine turf, propagated from seed cheaply, fills in fast and in my opinion looks great, also is more drought tolerant than bahia never mind sa, is the most wear tolerant which is why it is on every golf course fairway in fl as well as all sports fields. Now thats my vote for bermuda over sa, when it comes to bermuda vs bahia it isnt even close....bermuda is far superior. And I am talking about the improved common varieties not the hybrid golf course greens and tees type.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Actually it isnt popular here either. I just dont know why?????? Bermuda is the #1 turf grass in the southern united states!!! But florida fell in love with sa, a grass with little wear tolerance, chinch bug and grub issues, must be repaired vegativlely because seeds are too small to harvest, needs lots of water and fert, is course......bermuda, soft blades, can be used as a low utility, medium grade or super high end fine turf, propagated from seed cheaply, fills in fast and in my opinion looks great, also is more drought tolerant than bahia never mind sa, is the most wear tolerant which is why it is on every golf course fairway in fl as well as all sports fields. Now thats my vote for bermuda over sa, when it comes to bermuda vs bahia it isnt even close....bermuda is far superior. And I am talking about the improved common varieties not the hybrid golf course greens and tees type.
Fl

I myself love SA. I agree with all your points about its drawbacks, but down here people have the money to maintain it properly. Problem is is all the hacks that cut it too short, mow with dull blades, over irrigate,etc.

Anyone who has Bahia down here is in a lower income hood. Not saying i live on Jupiter Island, but that is a fact. I hate Bahia myself. I have not seen a single yard that is common bermuda here. Yea, go on the large estate homes and they have hybrid bermuda, seashore paspalum, or some kind of zoysia. It actually sounds like the logical sod to go with. Like you said though, Floridians love their SA.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Actually it isnt popular here either. I just dont know why?????? Bermuda is the #1 turf grass in the southern united states!!! But florida fell in love with sa, a grass with little wear tolerance, chinch bug and grub issues, must be repaired vegativlely because seeds are too small to harvest, needs lots of water and fert, is course...
Do you not think our industry most likely had something to do with why everyone thinks SA is the turf of choice, I mean for all the reasons you mentioned why it is a PITA, are all reasons that create a never ending source of income for us right?

I am not so sure this bermuda thing needs to catch on
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.12421 seconds with 8 queries