Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Florida is the gunshine state so it is always a good idea to have metal handy when in questionable areas. Here in the keys it is said that you have to be drunk or fishing to enjoy life here. The real estate bubble was what ruined the lifestyle but it may return if home values keep falling. The lack of water here is what I hate the most. The people here generally have a better attitude if they are from the keys, but snowbirds often have a bad disposition. It may not go over 100 here but we do not get cooling thunderstorms in the summer like on the mainland.
you mean the things that swing in every day to turn my miserable florida sauna into a steam room. Oh and I could be very happy being drunk and fishing every day. I dont really drink but if thats what I gotta do to fish in the keys every day count me in!!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

a good downpour will drop the temps from 91 to 77 in a matter of minutes...i welcome the rain other than the fact your done for the day.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
a good downpour will drop the temps from 91 to 77 in a matter of minutes...i welcome the rain other than the fact your done for the day.
yup and after those two minutes......steam bath!!!! Fact = cooler weather in the keys than where I live and anywhere in south florida.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fact of Life

South East Coast of Florida has a more favorable climate than inland Florida or the Gulf Coast where I live. For that reason the greater Miami area was populated first. Bahama Breezes in summer cool that coastal area while the same breeze warms the winter air from blowing over the warmer Gulf Stream.

The Florida Key are in fact a MICRO CLIMATE with water on all sides. Water loses heat slower than air and it also absorbs heat much slower. Between the sea breeze which is always off shore in the Keys and the surrounding water, the Key have a perfect climate compared to the rest of Florida.

ONE MORE TIME IF YOU CAN"T BE HAPPY IN THE FLORIDA KEYS, YOU CAN"T BE HAPPY.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Fact of Life

South East Coast of Florida has a more favorable climate than inland Florida or the Gulf Coast where I live. For that reason the greater Miami area was populated first. Bahama Breezes in summer cool that coastal area while the same breeze warms the winter air from blowing over the warmer Gulf Stream.

The Florida Key are in fact a MICRO CLIMATE with water on all sides. Water loses heat slower than air and it also absorbs heat much slower. Between the sea breeze which is always off shore in the Keys and the surrounding water, the Key have a perfect climate compared to the rest of Florida.

ONE MORE TIME IF YOU CAN"T BE HAPPY IN THE FLORIDA KEYS, YOU CAN"T BE HAPPY.
Yup, and those bahama breezes travel over much deeper atlantic ocean water than what we have in the gulf which gets over 90 degrees in the summer. The continental shelf runs extremly close to shore on the east coast of florida so the water is deep and a lot cooler than the gulf.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my favorite places, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESIg8_HCmE
Last time I was diving here the Vis was almost 100'.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
One of my favorite places, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESIg8_HCmE
Last time I was diving here the Vis was almost 100'.
Hey Z, I love it! I dont dive but have you ever done a dive at the Bayronto? I would guess that is one of the best closest dive spots to us.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Z, went back and watched more of the video. Saw some nice yellow tails, a gag grouper, really cool parrot fish (had one in my saltwater tank when I was younger) blue tang and some sort of wrasse. Didnt watch the whole video but that looked like a great day! Thats what life is all about.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No I haven't, though Fantasea Scuba in Port Charlotte, where my family got certified, takes trips out there often. On the west coast I took one certification dive off Boca Grande and another off Bradenton Beach about a mile offshore there's about an 8' ledge that's pretty interesting. Problem up here is the visibility, about 8 to 20 feet verses 40 to 100 feet in the Keys.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Hey Z, went back and watched more of the video. Saw some nice yellow tails, a gag grouper, really cool parrot fish (had one in my saltwater tank when I was younger) blue tang and some sort of wrasse. Didnt watch the whole video but that looked like a great day! Thats what life is all about.
That particular video isn't mine, when we went out we took a charter with Abyss Dive center. The water the day we went was even clearer than is shown in that video.