Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It looks to be in decent shape to me, I don't know what others are seeing here. Other than the paint and decals being no good...

Only major issue I see is that it looks like it has trailer house axles. If so you can NOT put new tires on those wheels, you have to find the wheels with the tires, and that's becoming harder to do these days. Often the ones you do find to buy are 30 years old and dry rotted. Trailer house axles usually had brakes as well, but there's the parts problem again. You would be best off spending $600 to $900 on 2 new axles, if those are in fact trailer house axles...

An equipment trailer like that, new, would be around $4,000 here.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The trailer has 5 bolt demount rims. Hudson Trailers used this style quite a bit on their lower capacity trailers up until not too long ago. There's nothing really wrong with them, but they are cumbersome to remove and install compared to the now more conventional steel "modular" trailer wheels. They certainly wouldn't be my preference but I believe the rims are still a conventional 14" or 15" tire size so you could get new bias ply or radial trailer tires. I'm also 90% sure that dexter and other trailer axle manufacturers still produce the necessary parts for this type of hub so I don't think finding parts will be a problem. My guess is the trailer has a 10,000 lb. GVW rating and it weighs about 2500 lbs. as it sits there.

If you are considering buying this trailer simply because you might be able to buy it I'm not sure that makes any sense. If you think you can flip it for a small profit...maybe, but you need to balance needed repairs/cosmetics to make it attractive to buyers, without killing your profit margin. If you want this trailer as an inexpensive alternative to help your business and can fix it up over time then I say go for it.

If you pressure wash the deck boards, paint the trailer, rewire/update the lights, add DOT reflective tape, replace or repack the bearings, check the brakes, and install a jack, that will be a pretty nice trailer.

Offer them $300, and I wouldn't go any higher than $450 in negotiations.

Hope this helps you. Let us know if you get it.

Last edited by PonyExpress94; 02-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

It is highly unlikely that it has "mobile home" axles. It Looks to have UTG, or "mobile home style" drums and wheels.

There is no reason at all to buy new wheels if they are not rusted out. Tires are easy to get at any tire shop not run by morons. Cheap Chinese tires $80-$90. Good tires $150-$160. I found a deal on Craigslist last month- 12 tires mounted on rims, all 2008 production, all less than 400 miles on them, 8-14.5 Load Range G for $600.

I would guess that it has 6K axles and should have a 12K GVW. Although, Hudson seems to use lighter rated axles than a lot of other companies, so they may have given that trailer a rating above 12k#'s.

I'd give $700-$800 any day if the rims and the wood are good.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGreen View Post
that trailer is worth a lot more money that 500 bucks, around here that trailer would go for at least 1800 as is.
After being fixed up and repainted possibly. But I am not going to spend anything over that for this trailer. They (superintendent and greenskeeper) dont have any clue what it is worth since it has sat there for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat320 View Post
well getting brakes and tires will eat into the price alot i would do $300 good way to figure it out see what it had cost new and go by that deprciate it get a price for brakes and tires floor boards paint is superfisal but it would look cleaner painted. that is how i would determin price.
Where could I find out how much this cost new or something similar to this trailer? It has sat for a really long time and they cant find records of purchase but they do now it does belong to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
I'd start with $100 bucks over the value of the trailer at the junkyard. Scrap is going at around $175 a ton here, so I'd say maybe $425. If it didn't look like it was that bad in person, I might go up to $700. With the work you outlined you could likely sell it for close to 3 grand (I'm assuming its tagged for 14,000 #s)
The trailer is as bad as it looks with the pictures I posted. I have not crawled under the trailer to see what kind of shape the rest of it is in. Not sure of the capacity rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
It looks to be in decent shape to me, I don't know what others are seeing here. Other than the paint and decals being no good...

Only major issue I see is that it looks like it has trailer house axles. If so you can NOT put new tires on those wheels, you have to find the wheels with the tires, and that's becoming harder to do these days. Often the ones you do find to buy are 30 years old and dry rotted. Trailer house axles usually had brakes as well, but there's the parts problem again. You would be best off spending $600 to $900 on 2 new axles, if those are in fact trailer house axles...

An equipment trailer like that, new, would be around $4,000 here.
I'm not too worried about how the decals look or paint since I'm repainting all my trailers this month so it would just be another one added to the list. I do know of a place around me that has these rim/tire combo. Replaced them on someone elses trailer not that long ago. These tires are dry rotted since it has sat for a long time. The axles looked fine to me but once again I need to get under there and really inspect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress94 View Post
The trailer has 5 bolt demount rims. Hudson Trailers used this style quite a bit on their lower capacity trailers up until not too long ago. There's nothing really wrong with them, but they are cumbersome to remove and install compared to the now more conventional steel "modular" trailer wheels. They certainly wouldn't be my preference but I believe the rims are still a conventional 14" or 15" tire size so you could get new bias ply or radial trailer tires. I'm also 90% sure that dexter and other trailer axle manufacturers still produce the necessary parts for this type of hub so I don't think finding parts will be a problem. My guess is the trailer has a 10,000 lb. GVW rating and it weighs about 2500 lbs. as it sits there.

If you are considering buying this trailer simply because you might be able to buy it I'm not sure that makes any sense. If you think you can flip it for a small profit...maybe, but you need to balance needed repairs/cosmetics to make it attractive to buyers, without killing your profit margin. If you want this trailer as an inexpensive alternative to help your business and can fix it up over time then I say go for it.

If you pressure wash the deck boards, paint the trailer, rewire/update the lights, add DOT reflective tape, replace or repack the bearings, check the brakes, and install a jack, that will be a pretty nice trailer.

Offer them $300, and I wouldn't go any higher than $450 in negotiations.

Hope this helps you. Let us know if you get it.
Thanks and you are correct to my knowledge about the rim/tire combo for Hudson. I am buying this trailer mainly for the company but will use it for whatever I feel like moving around or hauling. I specifically like these types of trailers because you can do many things with them. As of right now, I dont have any intention of flipping it but if it doesnt need much work and I can get a good profit for it, then who knows. Might be a possibility.

I would have to look at the prices for all the lights, wire (might have some lying around), bearings (feel safer replacing), brakes, and jack to see how it will pan out for negotiations.

I will find out more in the upcoming week. Thanks for you advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
It is highly unlikely that it has "mobile home" axles. It Looks to have UTG, or "mobile home style" drums and wheels.

There is no reason at all to buy new wheels if they are not rusted out. Tires are easy to get at any tire shop not run by morons. Cheap Chinese tires $80-$90. Good tires $150-$160. I found a deal on Craigslist last month- 12 tires mounted on rims, all 2008 production, all less than 400 miles on them, 8-14.5 Load Range G for $600.

I would guess that it has 6K axles and should have a 12K GVW. Although, Hudson seems to use lighter rated axles than a lot of other companies, so they may have given that trailer a rating above 12k#'s.

I'd give $700-$800 any day if the rims and the wood are good.
I am not 100% sure what kind of axles are on this trailer but could easily find out. The wheels have a good deal of rust on them so they would need to be replaced. Although it never crossed my mind to look on Craigslist for rims/tires. Once again I am personally not sure what type of capacity rating this trailer has but will find out. The wood decking can probably last a few seasons with a good powerwashing so I'm not too concerned about that.

Thanks again for your advice. Still tossing the idea back and forth whether or not its worth buying this trailer but after I read this it seems like it is. They have a lot of other stuff just sitting around so maybe I can squeeze out a package deal with them.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That trailer would be about $3500-$4000 new. Hudson trailers are expensive. I got my 18' 10k gvw bigtex new for$2700 two years ago for reference.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow king View Post
That trailer would be about $3500-$4000 new. Hudson trailers are expensive. I got my 18' 10k gvw bigtex new for$2700 two years ago for reference.
I've never bought a Hudson before so I dont know too much about them. I have towed one with a small John Deere front end loader on it before and it seemed to handle it pretty well but that was a 4 1/2 ton trailer. Not sure how this trailer will handle loads.

I did however look really good under it this afternoon and all I can say is wow. The leafsprings are all rusted can tell if its just surface rust but that is my guess. Everything else seems to be fine minus the rust.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://hudsontrailers.com/index.html this is there website i would call with as much info as you can get or a model or id number they might have records or know what it list for back then. trailers cost alot now compared to back 10 plus years ago but they could probably give you an idea on what pricing.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

750 to a 1000 would be a fair price
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat320 View Post
http://hudsontrailers.com/index.html this is there website i would call with as much info as you can get or a model or id number they might have records or know what it list for back then. trailers cost alot now compared to back 10 plus years ago but they could probably give you an idea on what pricing.
Never thought of contacthing them. I will have to do that tomorrow. Just wish I could find a model number on it. The plaque where all the info is placed is worn out and not readable anymore so not sure how far that will get me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
750 to a 1000 would be a fair price
Talked to them more today and they said it really has no value to them since its just sat there and never been used to haul anything in over 5 years.

Here is one picture I took of the inside wheel and spring assembly.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

That looks fine. Backing plates and axles still have paint on them. You won't see that too often on a trailer from NY.