Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2011, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Time to replace OTT steel track. Which to Buy

Its come time to replace my OTT steel tracks on my Case 60xt. Which type should I look into buying? I currently have skidtraxx and I am not very pleased with the way they have performed.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had Mclaren Diamonds and they were great.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've used Grouser and Loegering OTT and I liked the Loegering ones better. I thought it was easier to take the Loegering ones on and off.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want easy on easy off look at tracksplus, they are a light and inexpensive design and last 1500 to 1800 hours. Won't work in wet snow though, it packs inside the pads andthey get to tight. Otherwise great product for the money. Light is great in mud. They use a longer pad design and run a bit rougher on hard surfaces. Pins are not bushed, but it is a bolt together design so you can change parts or adjust length if you need too

I have the Mclaren diamonds too. They are a good track with high traction, great in snow
Seem to wear well and run as smooth as a steel track can because they use more shoes. In turf applications the bars will penetrate the sod easier because they are narrow compared to grouser. McClarens are not bushed at the pins like Grouser, but the pins are locked into the pads so the wear is isolated in the dogbone.

Grouser are a good track too, but man they are heavy, sucks when you have a flat. Good choice if you are looking to counter weight the machine.
Skidsteer
Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have the extra cash, you may consider going with McLaren Rubber OTT. We have been running them for over 2 years now and have been very pleased mostly because they allow us also to work on asphalt, concrete and pavement. This extra feature makes the extra money we spent on them all worth. Plus, the extra weight they have really stabilizes the machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't going to mention it, but since hillboy did, the protrac rubbers are the way I'd go. I was just about to get these ones http://www.machinerytrader.com/listi...x?ohid=7268325 for my Deere 240 when the Tak TL140 deal came through. It's a great deal if they are still available.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

True, this is a great deal. It's about half of what we paid, plus the rubber pads look to have been hardly used.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone checked out these tracks? Seems nice and I dont see any bushings like the Grousers someone else mentioned.

http://www.prowlertracks.com/over-th...ck-systems.htm
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I just came across some prices on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=R...+Bobcat+Tracks
Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapebuilders View Post
Has anyone checked out these tracks? Seems nice and I dont see any bushings like the Grousers someone else mentioned.

http://www.prowlertracks.com/over-th...ck-systems.htm
The gap between the pads seems to be quite large, which means less floatation. On the McLaren tracks we have the rubber pads are about one inch apart when the tracks are straight on the ground, which also means less ground pressure and thus less wear and damage to the ground.

I like the continuous rubber OTTs, though. They offer the most floatation and traction and are safest for the ground. The only problem I see with them is that they are more expensive and once they break, you can't rebuild them.