Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

How are you getting Business?

Ok I did start similar thread about a week ago, I am 19 and I have been trying to start my Lawn Care Business for the past Month now.
I live in Florida so there is no Snow. I have been offerign Weed Pulling and Gardening Work(I can plant, pull weeds in the Garden) and later I want to offer Mowing.

Anyway I've tried going Door to Door, Door Knob Flyers, the Bag in the Rock Flyers, putting them in peoples Mailbox and I can't seem to get any business.

I am only charging $20 an Hour to Pull Weeds and since the Yards are small its only $30 to mow(it will tak 20-30 min per yard) and people complain about how the prices are to high, or I get I am not interested, One guy had the nerve to call me and ask me if I could mow his lawn for $10.

I only have 3 customers at currently all just for Pulling weeds. Which I have only made $120, in the past month.

Seriously how do you get business?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hm...your prices may be a tad high...i charge about $40-$50 for yards that take 45min-1hr...so maybe try to charge in the $20-$25 range if it takes you 20-30min....just a suggestion...prices vary from place to place around the country
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone thinks you will work for peanuts if you're not a "professional" in their mind. I might drop my prices just a little, but at the very least stay just below competetive. If anything remeber this: you must have a usp (unique selling point) to set yourself above the competition- of course multiple usp's is better than one. Find out any competition for business and show what you can do better, whether it be price, quality, or knowledge.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
hm...your prices may be a tad high...i charge about $40-$50 for yards that take 45min-1hr...so maybe try to charge in the $20-$25 range if it takes you 20-30min....just a suggestion...prices vary from place to place around the country
Ill try lowering the prices
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take some before and after pics of you weeding jobs and put those on a flier or door hanger. Use LS as a tool constantly for new ideas. and also, i dont know if you meant you were actually putting stuff INSIDE of peoples mailbox...but if you were...STOP. It is a Federal Crime...dont want that trouble.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up Be A Pro

As with anything, try to be the best. 1st of all. Educate yourself about what your doing. If your pulling weeds learn the name of the weeds your pulling. If your planing plants know the name and characteristics of the plants your putting in the ground. If your mowing grass know what type of grass your mowing and how to mow it. When you go out and talk to people, look nice. Wear khaki shorts or pants and a collar shirt. Your selling yourself for who you are and what you know. Make it the best possible product you can with what resources are currently available to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarklawns View Post
As with anything, try to be the best. 1st of all. Educate yourself about what your doing. If your pulling weeds learn the name of the weeds your pulling. If your planing plants know the name and characteristics of the plants your putting in the ground. If your mowing grass know what type of grass your mowing and how to mow it. When you go out and talk to people, look nice. Wear khaki shorts or pants and a collar shirt. Your selling yourself for who you are and what you know. Make it the best possible product you can with what resources are currently available to you.
Thats what I have done, I have Dressed Business Causal, I have used manners, called the potential Customers Sir or Ma'ma. I cut my hair, I smell nice, done research and Ill I ever get from people is replies like "thats cute a teenager trying to work hard, sorry I don't need lawn care though" or "Ill pay you $10 to weeds and mowing" or I just get the door shut in my face.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do my advertising in the fall with aeration and then spring with spring cleanup...thats it..nothing else. Aeration is good money and everyone needs it. Just an idea..do some fliers for spring cleanup
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Throw in a free mowing for new customers
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg578 View Post
Throw in a free mowing for new customers
That might work