Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

your prices are too high just to be starting out and dont go door to door just pass out flyers
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg578 View Post
your prices are too high just to be starting out and dont go door to door just pass out flyers
how low do you think they should be?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

if its just you doing the labor then i would try 10 bucks an hour as the labor fee and add on to that gasoline costs for the equipment and if u drive to the jobs
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

That would be about $25 to cut then
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

what kind of equipment do you use to cut the grass
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg578 View Post
if its just you doing the labor then i would try 10 bucks an hour as the labor fee and add on to that gasoline costs for the equipment and if u drive to the jobs
10 bucks an hour is completely ridiculous. If you can do as good of a job as professional businesses you should be competetive with them. Im 16 and Ive shared similar problems where people doubt your knowledge, reliability, and quality of work. To offer a free mow is a catch 22, as people may say "I will take advantage of this kid," but if they see your work they may say "wow, this actually is an excellent job." There is no one way to get business, but you may try a free mow with an estimate, show before and after pictures of your work, etc. Just emphasize that you are a professional, but dont lowball to get business, you`ll just be overworked, underpaid, and unhappy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since it sounds like you like handing out flyers create one with a call to action that says take advantage of this offer by March 15th or whatever date you specify but don't make it too long and get $10, or $20 or whatever you want off your services. If customers bite at the lower prices you know to adjust from their.

Give your current customers a referral discount, make it creative and fun.
(2) 21' Toro Commercial Kawi's
Echo Srm210- replacing March 2011
6.5x12 Trailer
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmers
Stihl Br320 backpack blower
Stihl BG56C handheld blower
Our business is Debt Free, huge Dave Ramsey Fan
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Take advantage

If youíre getting turned down more than 20% of the time, look at your pricing. Also look at your target customers. There are generally 2 mind sets. Those who want to hire a professional company and those who want to hire (no offense) some kid for $10.00. If you have the means to provide professional services go for those customers, normally noticeable by the higher end well manicured lawn. If you don't use the young kid for 10 dollar thing to make you company go till you have the equipment to provide for the second mindset. Remember people expect you to be small and unable to provide all the services if your young. Try doing what youíre doing at 45; you'll tend to get quite a few more doors shut on you. Best of luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13 View Post
Thats what I have done, I have Dressed Business Causal, I have used manners, called the potential Customers Sir or Ma'ma. I cut my hair, I smell nice, done research and Ill I ever get from people is replies like "thats cute a teenager trying to work hard, sorry I don't need lawn care though" or "Ill pay you $10 to weeds and mowing" or I just get the door shut in my face.
I know where your coming from. Age does have an influence on people. You are in the same position I was in when I started my business. I was 22 (Im 30 now) and putting myself through college on my own dime. I had a mazda pickup, a crappy little trailer, a troy built 21" push mower, and a crappy weed eater. I faced more rejection than success . However, I did not give up. I gave my few clients 110%. I serviced a 1/2 acre lot for $35 with a push mower that now I would charge $40 with a 60"ztr. I figured $35 dollars CASH MONEY in 2.5 hours WORKING FOR MYSELF was better than my alternative of working a dead end job for $8/hr before taxes. I graduated with a Finance degree in 2008 and guess what, I am still mowing grass. I have grown a business. I love it. Those few clients I got had friends they referred me to and so on so on. Now I have 45 accounts a nice f150, 36" and 60" hustler mowers with vaccums, a 16' trailer, and all stihl equipment. I make what a typical entry level college graduate working for the man makes. This has taken me 8 years and I still feel like I should be ahead of where I am. Work Hard, Be Honest, and Dont give Up. If it were easy and fast, everybody would do it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarklawns View Post
I know where your coming from. Age does have an influence on people. You are in the same position I was in when I started my business. I was 22 (Im 30 now) and putting myself through college on my own dime. I had a mazda pickup, a crappy little trailer, a troy built 21" push mower, and a crappy weed eater. I faced more rejection than success . However, I did not give up. I gave my few clients 110%. I serviced a 1/2 acre lot for $35 with a push mower that now I would charge $40 with a 60"ztr. I figured $35 dollars CASH MONEY in 2.5 hours WORKING FOR MYSELF was better than my alternative of working a dead end job for $8/hr before taxes. I graduated with a Finance degree in 2008 and guess what, I am still mowing grass. I have grown a business. I love it. Those few clients I got had friends they referred me to and so on so on. Now I have 45 accounts a nice f150, 36" and 60" hustler mowers with vaccums, a 16' trailer, and all stihl equipment. I make what a typical entry level college graduate working for the man makes. This has taken me 8 years and I still feel like I should be ahead of where I am. Work Hard, Be Honest, and Dont give Up. If it were easy and fast, everybody would do it.
Alright, thank you for your encouragement