Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassesGuy View Post
It's called hard work partner. Nothing gets handed to you. Sucess doesn't happen over night. I would suggest getting a part time job on the side until you get enough buisness. This industry is for hard working people who have worked years to formulate a profitable buisness endevor. Don't expect everyone to give out there secrets. I started out with a jeep and a push mower and now operate a full service lawn and landscaping company with multiple trucks. I had no money and used a credit card to buy a mower and had a baby on the way living in my grandmothers basement with my wife. The baby on the way was a big motivation for me. Now don't go knocking some sweety up you just met at the neighborhood bar or you will regret it. Wrap it up and you will be golden. Bottom line is work your ass off like you never have before, don't give up and eventually you will be rewarded, it takes years.
Wow! 13 years ago that was me buddy........just not the basement, the day i bought my first house (21), i decided to start my lawn company with a borrowed trailer and I charged my toro mower, stihl trimmer and backpak blower. I bought my hedger attachment 2 days later after i got a request to prune, landed 3 clients 1st day of flyers on a sunday, worked nights at wally world for 5 years, it can be done! Hard work, knowledge, and a lil luck never hurts. I cant stress the knowledge part, know what your selling and practice doing estimates with someone, you have to be someone that the customers thinks knows more than them. Meaning there not gonna hire someone that doesnt know about lawns, trees, bushes and pruning then themselves. Flyers! Flyers!Flyers! its never a good time but it always a good idea to just hit the streets and drop some flyers/door hangers to get those intial calls coming in. Im sure we will see you this summer on here with at least 20 new ones.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagLawnWorks View Post
Here's an idea: If there are any free classifieds available, like Craigslist, or your free local newspaper section, spread the word that your going to be giving free lawn cuts during the week of April 21-April 28. Tell all your friends, family, print black and white flyers, and spread them everywhere. People will call and book a time. You should easily get 20-25 residents in your area call about your free service.

For this one week, do a really good job on all the 20-25 lawns, and if you really do a good job, maybe 5-7 people will hire you to trim their lawn every week.

just my 2 cents

ps: it can be any week April 21-28 was just an example. work hard boy!!
Well that seems like a good Idea, but if I mow 20-25 lawns and only get 5-7 accounts didn't I just lose a bunch of money on gas?
I guess It pays off over time, but it seems like I would need a lot of starting cash for gas.

BUT at this point I am willing to try anything, no matter how crazy
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i've gotten two new customers this week and i really wasn't doing anything...i went to buy my license and the city clerk got me to cut her aunt's house...i went to mcdonald's for lunch and the lady in the drive thru saw the sign on my truck and asked me to cut hers....it's all about being in the right place at the right time...or mostly luck i guess lol
Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13 View Post
Well that seems like a good Idea, but if I mow 20-25 lawns and only get 5-7 accounts didn't I just lose a bunch of money on gas?
I guess It pays off over time, but it seems like I would need a lot of starting cash for gas.

BUT at this point I am willing to try anything, no matter how crazy
It will pay off the second week. Plus if you're talking about car gas, just target houses in one neighborhood. Pick 4-5 blocks in the same 'hood, and hand out flyers to 400-450 houses for a FREE lawn trimming. You're bound to get calls, and since all the houses are relatively in the same area, you don't need to drive around town this one week.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagLawnWorks View Post
It will pay off the second week. Plus if you're talking about car gas, just target houses in one neighborhood. Pick 4-5 blocks in the same 'hood, and hand out flyers to 400-450 houses for a FREE lawn trimming. You're bound to get calls, and since all the houses are relatively in the same area, you don't need to drive around town this one week.
I will try my Neighborhood, It think it will work as well
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are going to offer free mowing I would make sure the customer is going to be long term. Too many people lose money by doing first cut free kind of jobs.

I would suggest spending a bit of money advertising in your local community papers.

I can give you some tips to make sure people ring you first but I would rather do that on a one to one basis as everyone’s circumstances are different and I would like to see a scan of your local papers "work wanted" page before commenting

Contact me through my profile if you want some help

The Fine Art of Lawn Mowing

(since 1987)
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassesGuy View Post
It's called hard work partner. Nothing gets handed to you. Sucess doesn't happen over night. I would suggest getting a part time job on the side until you get enough buisness. This industry is for hard working people who have worked years to formulate a profitable buisness endevor. Don't expect everyone to give out there secrets. I started out with a jeep and a push mower and now operate a full service lawn and landscaping company with multiple trucks. I had no money and used a credit card to buy a mower and had a baby on the way living in my grandmothers basement with my wife. The baby on the way was a big motivation for me. Now don't go knocking some sweety up you just met at the neighborhood bar or you will regret it. Wrap it up and you will be golden. Bottom line is work your ass off like you never have before, don't give up and eventually you will be rewarded, it takes years.
A-MEN to that !!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

marketing is going to cost you no matter what...either in time, gas, money for print ads or all of these together....the biggest problem you have right now is the fact that even though we have no snow here in florida the lawns are still VERY dormant and not growing....keep on with what your doing and be ready to roll at the last minute....also when you do get a call be quick, dont let them wait hours and hours to hear from you...we are a 20+ yr old company with 3 rigs out there and when we get a call for anything we try to respond within the hour...as long as its during regular biz hours....its going to take a few years to build and grow a business that will sustain you comfortably...be honest, reliable, professional and you will succeed.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

when you do start to build dont be affraid to "weed out" the bad customers along the way..not everyone will be a good fit for your business...the longer you hang on to a client who pays late, or has too high expectations for what they want to pay, or a lawn that just isnt profitable or you just dont like doing it the more it will drag you down...geting rid of crappy customers (in a nice way) will play a big role in how fast you grow...ive seen too many guys keep every p.o.s. account they ever got and all that does is hold you back...make sure you set a standard that your accts. have to meet in order for you to succeed....if not, you will fail for sure....examples for us are..no fenced yards with a gate smaller than 60" wide....must have irrigation.....must have screened in pool (if they have a pool) in time you will figure out what you want and dont want to deal with....all part of the game....good luck and dont give up.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

People love to save $. Coupons and discounts are always good. Never work for free! Always make your discounts expire!
The next time some offers you $10. Do it the 1st time for that (trial offer). Sell quality, do quality and charge full price next time. If it is cold outside or things are brown most Floridians don't do or want yard work. Trust me when the grass is growing you will start cutting or pulling! Those $10 ones will call back when the grass is long. Charge extra for it being over grown (clean up fee). The put them a schedule at a normal price.
DO NOT LOWBALL to get work. (mowing a $30 yard for $20 for the LIFE of the account). This will put you out off business in the long run! Plus when your out of business they will want it done for $20 in the future regardless of who dose it! The famous my last guy charged me "x". Well the last guy is not here and we are!
Good luck remember good clients want quality and it takes time to get them.