Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed Pulling/Torching

Anyone here done weed torching to get rid of unsightly weeds?

Last year, we did weed pulling. For the most part we did it when it was raining, or had rained and was not sunny and dried up yet. We were hoping this would let the roots come up easier. Unfortunately, with heavy clay soils, it is still damn near impossible to get the root up without it breaking.

I've read about torching the weeds, but what I heard was that you have to do it multiple times because the weeds kind of die off, but then they are back growing a week or so later so you have to hit them again (and maybe AGAIN, another week or so later).

I also saw a product recently that resembles a weed puller, but it instead pokes a metal rod into the weed and shoots a jolt of electricity into the weed and supposedly kills it. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. I'm worried it will be the same as torching, where you have to do it 3-4 times to work.

Also, as for the iron-based weed killing liquids like "Weed B Gone" they haven't worked for me well. with established broadleaf weeds, they kill off the vegetation above the soil, then you see new vegetation growing in a week or so later and have to do it again, over and over. and they don't treat many patchweeds either, which is annoying for using sprays.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

it depends, I use one and have great success on newly sprouted weeds, the older ones may take 2 times but they are gone after that

I use it on brick and concrete walkways, do not use them on slate patios the slate will pull apart and break into tiny pieces.....not good
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLS View Post
Also, as for the iron-based weed killing liquids like "Weed B Gone" they haven't worked for me well. with established broadleaf weeds, they kill off the vegetation above the soil, then you see new vegetation growing in a week or so later and have to do it again, over and over. and they don't treat many patchweeds either, which is annoying for using sprays.
a common problem with general herbacides at the big box stores like weed-be-gone is that they give only one application rate. If you look at a commercially available product it will normally have varying rates depending on the target weed. What you described above is very common with not using the corect application rates. using to low of a rate results in a slight surface burn but not enough active egrediant to kill the plant. Another issue is over application, with over application the leaves and surface area of the plant burns quickly; but the systemic system shuts down quickly before enough chemical is translocated throughout the plant and brought to the root system. If the root system does not receive enough a.i. then it survives resulting in more surge growth than you had to begin with
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

well, i'm not going to torch/electrocute patio weeds. i can spray vinegar products on patios, driveways, etc. i want to target lawn weeds.

good point about application rates. back in the herbicide days, i used to nearly double the dose in my sprayer, and then spray liberally. my business partner would spot spray weeds and miss little burgeoning plants that were just sprouting. i would spray a lawn twice in a 6-month season, his lawns needed spraying every two weeks! i kind of miss the good ol' days when i had a bona fide game plan
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats worked for me has been to mow or weedeat the weeds THEN come back in a few days and catch them when they are first putting on new growth.
Then hit em with herbicide.
That tender new growth will be more susceptible to the chemical
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLS View Post
back in the herbicide days, i used to nearly double the dose in my sprayer, and then spray liberally.
with all due respect, that makes my blood boil.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am hoping that he didn't miss read my post thinking I was agreeing with over applying, just the oposite. The main point i was trying to make was that a product like Weed B Gone will give one mix rate for all weeds listed, where as a commercially available product may have varying rates depending on the target pest
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

No worries now, with people running around their lawns using propane torches the world is a better place.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paradise: I know what you mean, now in Ontario, we can't use any herbicide or pesticide (the good old Killex that you only needed 1 app for the summer)

Now we're stuck with the natural crap that is mainly a overdose of Iron to weeds, just like weed-b-gone or Fiesta.

I've use the weed puller before and it was working well, but if you do that to much, you get back pain lol. The weed puller was removing everything, all the roots, sometime dandelion had like a 10 inch long root lol, but the problem is, your making all those big holes in the lawn that doesn't look pretty. Then you come back in a month and their is the same amount of weeds lol.
Complete lawn care services
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

good reason to keep a bag of seed and compost in the truck with you, all of the organic guys that have been doing it for a long time do it

something is going to grow in that hole, it might as well be grass