Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

When to send postcards

This year is the first time im going to send out post cards. I am going to do 1 mailing of 7500. If i get and good response i will send another round soon. Because i have not done this before i am trying to find out when is the best time to send them out. I just dont want to send them to early and end up in the trash but and not so late that everyone already has someone. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All dependant on your area and what demographic you are targeting. I always send mine out the week after valentines day and again mid march. Also mail out first of October
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I would love to send them out in t he next week but we have a foot of snow on the ground here right now
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone from the northeast that could help me on a time frame
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One round is not the best approach, people need to see your name several times to fell comfortable contacting you. This is a generalization but at 7500 cards that's the way to think.

In my opinion, if you are just doing the one mailing for now, I would have the cards all set and ready to go. Wait for the first wave of really good weather when people are going to out in the yard working that weekend. Not February or early March when it gets warm for a few days but wait for the great weekend where people are going nuts to get out and enjoy the outside and have the cards hit the homes that weekend.

If you are mainly doing the one mailing try not to jump the gun. If you are doing more than one, don't spread them out to far, take advantage of the early spring rush.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I did a flyer insert years ago and had 0 responses. Either they were never inserted or just sending them out once (beginning of March) just didn't work. I sent out 2500 postcards 2X and had about a 1.75% response rate, but only picked up 4 mowing accounts.

I will do newspaper adds every year and it seems the 2 busiest weeks are the week before everything needs cut and the week after. If it was me, I would do 2500 x3 vs 7500 x1. Third week of March, first and second week of April. All a week apart. Here, I usually start cutting the first week of April.

Come back to this thread later and let us know what you did and how it turns out.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing as far as snow on the ground goes. We have at least a foot of snow and although it is starting to melt this week, I don't think anyone cares about their lawn and landscaping yet. I was thinking I would wait until right around march 14th. Middle of the month and about a month away from the start of cleanup season. If that flops I can go for another round two weeks later without being too close to the first round and hopefully beat the competition or at least be in range to spark peoples interest in getting another estimate from me.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the same delima. I did a mailout of 1,000 Right after Valentines. So far I have gotten 3 calls. I had plans to do the middle of feb, march, and april. This early response of people has me thinking I need to send out more right now. Dont want to be to early or to late. Its alot of money to take a chance on.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Watch your local 10 day forecast and mail them out the day before the weather is suppose to be great or at least not when it's going to be crappy. I had some go out when we had a cold snap and got 0 calls on that day and a few days following.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci