Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Needing Foreclosure work in Birmingham AL please help if can

I am recently unemployed, but during the last two summers I have earned enough money to purchase commercial equipment and all that's needed to go along with it. Problem is I only have part-time lawn maintenance work. Would like to hook up with some mortgage companies to do landscaping for them but don't know where to start. I have insurance and try to do things the right way. I have done some research and know that this site is very good at helping and poking fun. I am not the best English major as you can tell I am sure but I work hard and know business. If you have anything that can help me please do if not I will read all the jokes the other people like to make. Enjoy either way. Thanks for reading and hopefully responding. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what kind of work I do it is called property preservation and you can make very good if you get hooked up. If you are looking to get this work from mortgage companies or banks you are going about it the wrong way. This work comes from field service companies, you should do a google search on field service companies for Alabama and contact all of them the companies I get my work from only deal with Tennessee so I would not know exactly who to tell you to call. Good luck
Stihl
9mm
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Preservation work

we do property preservation work mostly in Louisiana, but we are expanding. Be very careful with any field service company who you talk to - especially if they tell you they are a REGIONAL field service company (which, ironically is exactly what we are).

We started out working as a contractor for another REGIONAL out of Texas, who did everything in the book to not pay for work completed according to their instructions - the best two were "we have not been paid by the client" or "the work does not meet the client's requirements".. Apparently there are a lot of companies that don't get that we did not work for their clients and they were obligated to pay as long as we met their requirements as communicated (not THEIR clients' requirements if they screwed them up in conveying the info to us!)

Anyway, through the last 4 years we have found A LOT of REGIONAL companies that do this. That is why we started working as a regional - so there would be at least one good reputable company that understands fairness and doing the right thing even if it is at the expense of making a profit.

We don't cover Alabama right now, but if you send me your contact info we may be able to pick some work up over there to send your way. The one thing you have to know is that yard maintenance is only half the battle - you have to be a decent handman that can handle installing doors and windows, replacing roofs and removing a ton of debris. The banks don't stop with the grass anymore - our guys have to be all around contractors that can either do everything or have the contacts to get everything done. And since the banks send a lot of work, they expect VERY LOW prices. They think the volume makes up for the price - which is great in FL or California, but rural states like LA, AL, MS and AR it does not work out as well since there is a lot more driving with fewer properties. Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddec View Post
we do property preservation work mostly in Louisiana, but we are expanding. Be very careful with any field service company who you talk to - especially if they tell you they are a REGIONAL field service company (which, ironically is exactly what we are).

We started out working as a contractor for another REGIONAL out of Texas, who did everything in the book to not pay for work completed according to their instructions - the best two were "we have not been paid by the client" or "the work does not meet the client's requirements".. Apparently there are a lot of companies that don't get that we did not work for their clients and they were obligated to pay as long as we met their requirements as communicated (not THEIR clients' requirements if they screwed them up in conveying the info to us!)

Anyway, through the last 4 years we have found A LOT of REGIONAL companies that do this. That is why we started working as a regional - so there would be at least one good reputable company that understands fairness and doing the right thing even if it is at the expense of making a profit.

We don't cover Alabama right now, but if you send me your contact info we may be able to pick some work up over there to send your way. The one thing you have to know is that yard maintenance is only half the battle - you have to be a decent handman that can handle installing doors and windows, replacing roofs and removing a ton of debris. The banks don't stop with the grass anymore - our guys have to be all around contractors that can either do everything or have the contacts to get everything done. And since the banks send a lot of work, they expect VERY LOW prices. They think the volume makes up for the price - which is great in FL or California, but rural states like LA, AL, MS and AR it does not work out as well since there is a lot more driving with fewer properties. Good Luck!
if you have anything in oklahoma let me know josecervantes85@gmail.com

trying to get bigger
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

i do property preservation here in knoxville,hes right mowing is only half the battle,the work is nearly year round,and the money can be great,but also you can find yourself driving 75 miles for $20,which has happened a few times.you should be a handy man,photographer,and get use to doing some evictions.its a double edge sword,i love it and i hate it,but cant imagine doing anything else.
1997 bunton goodall 48" walkbehind
2000 craftman 22 pusher 6hp b&g
2011 stihl gs 90r weedeater
2011 kawasaki 27b weedeater
2011 stihl br600
hustler trailor with weedeater rack5x14.6
1950 ford 8n with 5 foot bush hogg
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are interested in an hourly gig, shoot me a PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

In NY, I was doing some work for Homestead Field Services. Most of the work was inner city and were dumps. Although I did get paid for all my work but I chose to withdraw because it was not the work that I wanted.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want work in Birmingham with foreclosures call Scott Mckie at Asset Management Solutions 205- 677-7033 the work is with HUD foreclosures and the pay is not great but you could get upwards of 100 yards if you are good, I did 180 twice a month last year. Good luck and if I could help you more let me know, I was in the birmingham market last year but in Arkansas now.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dose any one know which companies are operating in Central IL?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Ohio Connections

Does anyone have any insight on contacts in NW Ohio? I have looked all over the internet under searches such as "Field Service" and "Property Preservation", but I haven't found anything meaningful. There is a local Craigs list posting that I think is related to this, it is from a "property restoration" company. They are offering $20 for mowing, $20 for janitorial work, $10 trip fee and they are also requesting maintenance skills. Sounds like someone wanting to make money by subbing it out cheap. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.