Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Critique my advertising scope...

So I need to triple the size of my business this year to be where i want to be. It is going to be tough, but with the proper techniques and alot of hardwork i feel that it can be done. This year i am going to be covering more service areas than the previous years. I am looking to get 45 yards total, 15 landscapes, and 12 seasonal color jobs.

Advertisment plan:
-2 columns wide and six inches long in the local paper for 8 weeks in the spring
-1000 double sided flyers delivered door to door
-1000 post cards mailed out to the same places 1 1/2 months later
-Business cards in every possible business around the three towns to be serviced
-50 company tee shirts and 5 polo shirts (For friends, family, and employees)
-and hopefully a rolling BILLBOARD by the end of the summer! 2011 pace 8.5x20 3 foot v-nose with my logo and information

Now for the background on my business. Two seasons ago I decided to get out of the business. It was flourishing because I was one of the three LCO's in the area. I decided to come back in mid season last year and picked up a few of my old accounts. Now up to 14 and did 3 landscapes. Now there are 5 lco's not including me as far as I can recall.

So what does everyone think of the plan?

Oh and goals are $60,000 gross sales, sell my PZ6034, open trailer, and duramax. Buy walker MTL31 w/ 52" GHS deck, Walker super Bee, pace 2011 8.5x20 3 foot vnose, 2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 cummins 4x4 with less than 70k miles.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a great plan. Sounds like you have it pretty well thought out. To reach your goal though I think I would up the amount of flyers.

I personally haven't had much luck with newspaper advertisements. As for the flyers people say a response rate of 1% is typical. With 1000 flyers that will get you 10 calls. But you aren't likely to close all 10 of those. If your prices are competitive I would expect you to close half. I think if you upped the amount of flyers you plan to deliver to something like 5000-10000 you'd have much better luck meeting your goals.

Remember spring only last's so long. And after spring the calls will start dwindling quickly. I think getting those flyers out now will really help you meet your goals.

Let me know what you think...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am working on getting the flyers. They are supposed to be here not this week but the next. The only problem is town i live in is 4500 people and really only about 200 of them are desirable yards if that. The next town is about 8000 and probably 500 desirable homes maybe 700 at most.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

An effective marketing plan must be a repetitive one. I think you are cutting yourself short with only two direct contacts with potential clients. We go by the 7 see's rule. A potential client must either see, hear, or read about your company at least 7 times in order to consider you for business.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
I am working on getting the flyers. They are supposed to be here not this week but the next. The only problem is town i live in is 4500 people and really only about 200 of them are desirable yards if that. The next town is about 8000 and probably 500 desirable homes maybe 700 at most.
How far is the next town away. It sounds like you're looking to take a hold of a LARGE percentage of the market share in a short period of time. If you broadened your service area (I know that can be hard to do, maybe even not possible in your situation) your goal would be much easier.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well we have one town that is low income that is 30 miles and undesirable. Then the one i refered to earlier that has 8000 in population is about 50 miles away. However i do make this trip often and i picked up 5 weekly accounts last month with the smallest being $70 pr. vist.

And about the rules of seven. I have heard that many times, and now that i think about it that is nearly 100% accurate. I will hear of a business time and time again before i finally call or go to the location! Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Just be careful with the spending on equipment. Last year I doubled my customers and had to buy more equipment to kept up with it. Spring was great then summer hit and it got hot and lost 2 months of cutting. It was very tight I just made it to winter and now we are start to get money back into the bank.

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to tell you not to do this plan, but the first thing we learned about business is that you never want to double in one years time. It can lead to poor service, to much work load, missed billings, crappy employees,

If your allready set up and ready for the extra work load then go for it, but its not good business to grow that much that fast.

As a dealership we doubled every year for the past 5 years and I had to back off on the advertising and had to turn people away for service. We just got to overwhelmed and we had to work LONG LONG hours to make sure my quality of worked stayed at par.

Id honestly like to be at a 20-25% increase a year, No more 100% years. I cant find enough workers to handle that.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
Not trying to tell you not to do this plan, but the first thing we learned about business is that you never want to double in one years time. It can lead to poor service, to much work load, missed billings, crappy employees,

If your allready set up and ready for the extra work load then go for it, but its not good business to grow that much that fast.

As a dealership we doubled every year for the past 5 years and I had to back off on the advertising and had to turn people away for service. We just got to overwhelmed and we had to work LONG LONG hours to make sure my quality of worked stayed at par.

Id honestly like to be at a 20-25% increase a year, No more 100% years. I cant find enough workers to handle that.
Although in many cases I do agree with you. If I understand him correctly he is wanting to go from 14 lawns to 45 lawns. As long as he doesn't have any prior obligations (like a full time job) I don't think there should be any problem. If he were wanting to go from 150 lawns to 450 lawns I would definitely be concerned because to do that you would need to significantly increase your labor force as well as your equipment fleet. But it doesn't sound like he will really have to add any equipment or an employee. Like I said though, in many cases I do agree that 200% growth in a single year can quickly sink a business.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMWhite View Post
Although in many cases I do agree with you. If I understand him correctly he is wanting to go from 14 lawns to 45 lawns. As long as he doesn't have any prior obligations (like a full time job) I don't think there should be any problem. If he were wanting to go from 150 lawns to 450 lawns I would definitely be concerned because to do that you would need to significantly increase your labor force as well as your equipment fleet. But it doesn't sound like he will really have to add any equipment or an employee. Like I said though, in many cases I do agree that 200% growth in a single year can quickly sink a business.
true, sorry I missed the part of 15 to 45 yards.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...