Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Oh I see, this is you joking around then?
yes
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gotchya, so, what part of California are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Gotchya, so, what part of California are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Central Valley
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh ok, is that close to LA?? I want to move to Santa Monica in the next 5 years. In your opinion, is there a lot of oportunities in the landscape business there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Oh ok, is that close to LA?? I want to move to Santa Monica in the next 5 years. In your opinion, is there a lot of oportunities in the landscape business there?
No, not close to LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

I don't know anything about the LA area other than hoping it will slide off into the ocean some time soon. That said, mow & blow outfits are a dime a dozen out here, and I would think that applies anywhere in the state for the most part.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What types of grass do you deal with in Central Valley? I'm east of Orange County and deal mostly with just Bermuda and Fescue.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Orange County - an hour south of Santa Monica, depending on LAX traffic. I would think that the Santa Monica market for landscaping is pretty saturated. Mow, Blow, and Go guys are dirt cheap, and installations are few because of the poor economy. Getting on with larger companies would be a good start - they're always looking for good, experienced people. You'd need to make your experience in Florida seem relevant. Bilingual would be helpful. Contact Valleycrest before your move. Let them know what you're interested in. They may appreciate you being proactive and forward thinking. Good Luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stay where you're at and enjoy your business as it grows, CA is more saturated than FL with landscape workers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Modesto, California... Everyone seems to want to be a lawn jock here, but very few actually seem to know what they're doing. Bunch of fly-by-nighters. I know of quite a few "big" companies, but all I ever see them doing is commercial properties.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
No, not close to LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

I don't know anything about the LA area other than hoping it will slide off into the ocean some time soon. That said, mow & blow outfits are a dime a dozen out here, and I would think that applies anywhere in the state for the most part.
Naw....if we got really lucky they would just gas themselves to death......Have you ever flown down there and see what you think is fog? Then realize that no, its not fog but smog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Stay where you're at and enjoy your business as it grows, CA is more saturated than FL with landscape workers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I see the same thing happening in Chattanooga. By my apartment over there, I see 5 different companies working the mini-malls, n mind you doing half way work. Lets face it, any idiot with a mower can call themselves a gardener. It takes knowledge and skill to call yourself a landscape management company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I live in Modesto, California... Everyone seems to want to be a lawn jock here, but very few actually seem to know what they're doing. Bunch of fly-by-nighters. I know of quite a few "big" companies, but all I ever see them doing is commercial properties.
Hey neighbor! Live just 10 minutes north of you but my company is out of S.F. Peninsula.

Most of the guys that I see doing the smaller commercial areas are individuals or the m.b-n-g. type of guys. But what I have seen, most of the bigger commercial places are done by either Valleycrest (they've bought out everybody) or forgot the company name, out of the Sacramento area. Don't see how they do it, but maybe they are operating satilite locations. There is 1 guy out of Stockton area that I see his crews quite a bit but as always, with many of the commercials, they don't want to pay for quality and no loyalty anymore like it was when dad started the company. It still is the "good ol boy" network though if the property mgmt company still exist. I have met a few guys while at J.D.L in Modesto and Stockton. They always say the same thing about how this trade is more about a nickle instead of the dime.

John