Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously... Makes it hard to actually make a profit around here. I know for us, we'd be above our neck in debt if it weren't for our pest control department. I know we need more lawn accounts too (hoping to expand on that this spring), but it's just crazy what we have to compete with, and not do ourselves in in the mean time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundsGuy View Post
I'm in Orange County - an hour south of Santa Monica, depending on LAX traffic. I would think that the Santa Monica market for landscaping is pretty saturated. Mow, Blow, and Go guys are dirt cheap, and installations are few because of the poor economy. Getting on with larger companies would be a good start - they're always looking for good, experienced people. You'd need to make your experience in Florida seem relevant. Bilingual would be helpful. Contact Valleycrest before your move. Let them know what you're interested in. They may appreciate you being proactive and forward thinking. Good Luck.
I actually meant to say San Diego. I visited Santa Monica and while it was beautiful, I would never want to live close to LA. Plus it seemed like there are no opportunities in landscape while San Diego seems to be a great place. Trust me, we have tons and tons of companies here too. Most of them, legal and illegal, are lowballers. I just hate the Florida summers, they are too hot and humid. San Diego is perfect. How is biz in the OC?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I`m sure that Florida isn`t that different to over here in terms of business. It`s just one of those myths that the grass is greener on the other side: business is still saturated and the profit margin isn`t great, that is unless you score some very generous clients in La Jolla or Lauguna. On the contrary, the suburbs east of san diego have such bad forclosure rates you can get a pretty decent home for a good price. And yes, the weather is definitively better than anywhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
I`m sure that Florida isn`t that different to over here in terms of business. It`s just one of those myths that the grass is greener on the other side: business is still saturated and the profit margin isn`t great, that is unless you score some very generous clients in La Jolla or Lauguna. On the contrary, the suburbs east of san diego have such bad forclosure rates you can get a pretty decent home for a good price. And yes, the weather is definitively better than anywhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Location, location, location. If you were to compare the SE coast of Florida to any other area in Florida, it is night and day. There is so much wealth on the east coast it's not even funny. I'm not talking rich, I'm talking actual wealth. It is not hard to build a solid business around clients like that. There is money in coastal San Diego as well, I saw it myself. If you try and build a biz around customers who can't afford the service vs ones who def can, it is two different stories. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
I joined this site a few months ago and have only seen about 2 other people from California! Can anyone explain this? Grass grows here, too! I've seen it!
What do you mean? From Fresno Ca. here.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

San Diego has about the best weather in the country. I certainly wouldn't be looking to move to California to start any sort of business however. There's a reason a lot of businesses are leaving this state for more business friendly states like Texas. The only reason I have not moved is because I like living near my family. If you are coming to CA, remember that we are a very unfriendly business state, and it's tough to afford to buy a home here in comparison with other parts of the country. Plus you pay property taxes on the full value of your expensive California house if you can even afford one in the first place.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Gardens Landscaping View Post
San Diego has about the best weather in the country. I certainly wouldn't be looking to move to California to start any sort of business however. There's a reason a lot of businesses are leaving this state for more business friendly states like Texas. The only reason I have not moved is because I like living near my family. If you are coming to CA, remember that we are a very unfriendly business state, and it's tough to afford to buy a home here in comparison with other parts of the country. Plus you pay property taxes on the full value of your expensive California house if you can even afford one in the first place.
What is your customer base? High-end, middle of the road? Commercial?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Mostly middle of the road, some high-end, some commercial. I live in the SF Bay Area btw so I don't really have a pulse on the San Diego/ Los Angeles market all though I'd be willing to bet that there's a decent amount of low balling competition down there just like there is up here and most everywhere else in the landscape maintenance biz.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

tlc 1994....
I also live in Fresno, Ca located in the Central Valley. We have several large commercial companies here and tons of wanabe's. Hard to compete with Mr. Lee that will do a job for $ 12.00. At least my wife and I can provide license and insurance proof when required. Happy mowing!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELIABLELAWNMAN View Post
tlc 1994....
I also live in Fresno, Ca located in the Central Valley. We have several large commercial companies here and tons of wanabe's. Hard to compete with Mr. Lee that will do a job for $ 12.00. At least my wife and I can provide license and insurance proof when required. Happy mowing!!!!
Finally someone from Fresno on here too. We too have seen and got those oriental
gardner flyers on some of our customers properties. Have you post any pictures on the picture thread?
Posted via Mobile Device