Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

New Hustler Fastrack SD 54

Well, after one season of mow time, we decided to sell the Bad Boy ZT and get another ZTR. I had shopped and studied and fretted for several months last year before we bought, and thought I had bought my last mower. It ran and mowed well enough, but all three spindles were bad and had to be replaced under warranty when I took it in for the 50 hour (actually 46.1 hours) service. I had a person interested in buying the Bad Boy for $4500.00 cash, so we made a logical decision to sell (we only paid $4995.00 for the machine to begin with), as the 1 year warranty was up & didn't want to chance having to pay for three more spindles next year. It was in excellent condition & you could not tell it from the new one that it was sitting next to at the dealer (while waiting for the spindles to be shipped). All said, I guess it cost us about $10/hr. to "rent " the Bad Boy last year. My grandfather always used to say, "your first loss is your least loss", when money is concerned.
This year we still went to look at & demo both the Scag Freedom Z and the Hustler Fastrack that we had as two of the three final choices from last year. Glad we did, because after getting spoiled with the power and torque of the Kohler 27 hp Courage (which ran flawlessly), well the decision took way less time and anxiety, because the Hustler dealer had a brand spanking new Hustler Fastrack 54 Super Duty with a 25 hp Kawasaki & remote air filter,fold-able ROPS, commercial grade integrated ZT3100 transmissions, all steel pulleys, Fusion blades AND a warranty second to none:
•Lifetime warranty on tractor frame
•Lifetime warranty on the leading edge of the deck
•4-year or 800 hours limited residential warranty – parts and labor
•2-year or 800 hours limited commercial warranty – parts and labor.
I know that Scag also has great mowers that are rugged and dependable, with great warranties and factory service (and I don't want to start any wars or arguments), and we really did like the little Freedom Z. But when I considered all of added value on the Hustler Fastrack SD plus, according to my sweet wife, the most comfortable ride of all, well, we made our choice.
With that said, I was able to buy this Hustler mower @ $5500.00 OTD, and yes it is a brand new 2011 & not a demo. I had called around and shopped and surfed the web enough to know that I was getting a "killer deal" without any "haggling" and went ahead and ordered the flex forks for an additional $200.00, which the dealer said will be here on Thursday or Friday at the latest - that's two days after I bought and ordered! I imagine most of you have seen one but I'll try to attach a few pics if I can figure out how to do it. Just have to wait for the grass and clover now.
Name:  Hustler Fastrack SD 54 003.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  Hustler Fastrack SD 54 006.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  Hustler Fastrack SD 54 007.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB
Oh yea, I spent about 20 minutes wiping down the whole topside with Fluid Film, AFTER I took the pics and it's even "purdier" now. I'll jack it up and treat the deck underside liberally this evening.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Great buy. I'd jump in a heart beat at $5500 out the door.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great buy, i almost bought a Sport 42 but the budget sent me to a Snapper S50x 36", I was licking my chops over a Fastrak 48. Wouldn't fit through a couple of gates. $5299.00
Old 02-20-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you using this residential grade mower for commercial cutting? Just curious, as it is nice, but still a residential grade machine. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Fastrack SD

Yes, I'll be using it to mow a little over an acre at my home, and I'll probably use it about twice a month to mow about two acres around our house in the country. I mowed with it today to knock down the clover and cut close (almost scalp) to remove some of the dead thatch and it really performed well. It held the slopes much better than the Bad Boy, and the deck seems to have much better suction, if that's correct terminology. My neaighbor came over to see what the heck was going on with all of the discharge that was being blown out. He also noticed the new Yellow mower, and had to check it out. I really need to wait until the grass really starts growing to make any judgements worth listening to. I'll add more comments as the season progresses, positive or negative .
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That should be a good machine for you then. It is a good match for the amount of mowing you will be doing with it.