Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah it was one of those bull $hit deals he had a friend........ well you know the rest of the story. I actually only did the final leveling, sand, and laying the pavers themself. I told him NO warranty on anything, what it is is what it is, and it was a cash job off the books. He was cool with that, and said any settleing he would call me back and pay me extra to fix it. We also had the agreement that if anyone asked i didn't do it. You don't even want to know what is under it. I can't say i didn't warn him
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
In all seriousness, in terms of a future concrete slab, you can install pavers for what it's going to cost that home owner in a 'short charge' for the concrete delivery.

I don't really know why, but he actually wanted the concrete. That's where the pad was dug to when i got there.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good learning / practicing opportunity.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it looks like the elevation of the patio could be a bit lower to make the steps even in height at the left set of steps as facing the back of the house.

im with DVS, if the owner wants to buy materials.... more power to them, keeps the money out of my books. my contract has similar wording about owner supplied materials regarding shortage and guarantee.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya SV Concrete!

I am not trying to attack anyone, so please no one take this personally:

(this paragragh spoken in a tone used to speak to 7th graders, with a big smile as spoken) Many self employed have what we call "control issues". Many do not know it. But I bet their lovely spouses surely do!!!

When someone says they wont let the client supply materials - that is nothing more than.............a control issue Some would rather sacrafice an opportunity to turn production hrs and bill for those hours, than allow a client to have their hands in the pot. It's ok, we're here to help you.

All ya gotta do is help the client calculate materials.

And like I mentioned, you place a clause in the job agreement regarding down time and an agreed upon amount of billing for the down time. I have also stated material delivery and pick up fees. Heck, I don't care if I have 4 guys sitting under a tree playing with their cell phones for 4-hours, as long as the client is paying us for that time! If a client wants to pay us to drive around the entire Washington beltway all morning long.....we'll GLADLY do that too!

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did they GC the house also? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it code to not leave the foundation like that. If I am not mistaken it should be skimmed above grade and coated in butyl below. Patio cosmetically looks OK for a first one. Likely suffers from obvious mistakes that only experience can teach. Base issues, fabric, compaction issues, etc.

I want to go out on a limb here and call it as I see it. I know nothing about the situation. Let me know how close I am. Mostly a gross generalization of the generation, not so much the person themselves. I am sure they are very nice people. Age 35-45. Caucasian. Follower not a leader. Common for this group. Spend money on luxuries before essentials. 50K boat in the gravel driveway. Raves about the paver patio outdoor living space, but the weeds around it don't bother them. It all about what and not so much the quality of. This type buys the cheap 60" TV over the quality 50" for the same price. They pic the cheap builder grade cabinets and put the granite counter on it. The lawn will either be mowed monthly or a fly by night service will do it for cash and beer.

Am I in the ball park?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
I want to go out on a limb here and call it as I see it. I know nothing about the situation. Let me know how close I am. Mostly a gross generalization of the generation, not so much the person themselves. I am sure they are very nice people. Age 35-45. Caucasian. Follower not a leader. Common for this group. Spend money on luxuries before essentials. 50K boat in the gravel driveway. Raves about the paver patio outdoor living space, but the weeds around it don't bother them. It all about what and not so much the quality of. This type buys the cheap 60" TV over the quality 50" for the same price. They pic the cheap builder grade cabinets and put the granite counter on it. The lawn will either be mowed monthly or a fly by night service will do it for cash and beer.

Am I in the ball park?

C'mon now Shovel, Non of that is relivant to anything AT ALL Life would be much better for you if you didn't drown yourself in negativity :
)

People are always coming to this forum asking about how to do their first patio or how to price a patio.

And most of us always say "jus go do your first one and plan on NOT making any money. You're doing it for the learning experience"

And thats what this guy got; an opportunity to learn. This property is perfect for practicing. I'd rather see an inexperienced person practice on a property like this than on a 4,000 (+) square foot home.........

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perhaps it is viewed as negativity. I see it as true and scary. Children of this generation are taught these values. I can go one about this for days so we'll end that here. In the end I agree 100% with the rest. It is an optimum situation to learn. All in all the finish work is not that bad. The cuts are one of the better parts I immediately notice. It was not meant to pick on the OP, it takes a sack to put up your first work for the world to see. I guess it really wasn't meant to pick on the client either, as what I see is fairly common.

Send me the bill for the therapy session. I'll submit it to my insurance.

Still waiting on an answer about the house foundation though.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll add my constructive crit. too. As mentioned the base should be out further. The edge was discussed. The pavers where the edge is missing seem to have large voids under them from the cutting. Try to keep the angle down some, although cutting in like that is better than the other way. Big thing that draws away from the whole thing is the efflo. I'm sure your job is done there, but could be a good situation to upsell the efflo cleaning. As you get into the business you'll notice there are different levels of contractors. The good ones include efflo cleaning.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the responses. I knew the cuts were to much, but where i am just starting out I am not too use to the saw yet. I didn't want it to look sloppy from the top thats what counts because the dirt/grass and future cement walk will hide my cuts. Shovelracer you are kindof on, kindof off on the stereo type. The guy is about 30, white, works for family's big boat bussness. He runs the sales. So he kindof fell into a chance to make money, but works for it to. He does care about stuff looking good, but is like the rest of us all there is a point at which your budget for a project is maxed out. His was maxed out because while i was there he had just finshed remodeling the whole house and the yard was complely ripped up getting redone. Ther reason the job i did was such BS was he had already paid some ding dong to build a paver walk and step out front. It was so bad that he pulled it back up and half of that patio was the front walk reused. The guy really likes to suport friends and family just sometimes they don't know what they are doing.