Register free!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I do the same thing at the nurseries and box stores. There is a wealth of info on those little stakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I cant tell you how many times those little signs are wrong. But I guess that is what I get for doing this for 19 years.
HA HA and I have the greenest Christmas Palms in Tampa too. Been down to 24* at my house several times.
No stupid book or box store will tell you how I did that either.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Z Turn

Speaking of Nurseries. Between you and me off hwy 760 is the Oaks wholesale Nursery. I am sure you know it if you do any install work. They are a great contact for good plants. Prices are fair and the Quality is always there.
I think you mean Dee Oaks Nursery, Dee and John Lawton. Yes he brokers plants in from all over the state, very good quality. I have been buying plants from them since about 1990. I even used to sell them liner Podocarpus and Indian Hawthorne when they were doing more growing and not mainly brokering. I was just in there today and picked up a nice #25 Crape Myrtle for a customer.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
I cant tell you how many times those little signs are wrong. But I guess that is what I get for doing this for 19 years.
HA HA and I have the greenest Christmas Palms in Tampa too. Been down to 24* at my house several times.
No stupid book or box store will tell you how I did that either.
Sometimes the plants are labelled incorrect, but sometimes university studies end up being proven wrong. Bottom Line, it's a fun and effective way to learn some plant I.d. No offense but why plant a palm that is clearly not meant for your hardiness zone. Sure with proper care you can pull it off but why deal with the headaches when you could instead plant palms meant for your hardiness zone? I could probably grow tulips in Antarctica.....by why would I?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Sometimes the plants are labelled incorrect, but sometimes university studies end up being proven wrong. Bottom Line, it's a fun and effective way to learn some plant I.d. No offense but why plant a palm that is clearly not meant for your hardiness zone. Sure with proper care you can pull it off but why deal with the headaches when you could instead plant palms meant for your hardiness zone? I could probably grow tulips in Antarctica.....by why would I?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lots of Christmas Palms up here too....so he is just fitting in with the neighborhood I am sure.
With the last couple of years damage from the freezes - what the hell is our hardiness zone now anyway?
I am thinking everyone needs to be rethinking the way they do things - at least here in 9b, not sure about you guys

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I think you mean Dee Oaks Nursery, Dee and John Lawton. Yes he brokers plants in from all over the state, very good quality. I have been buying plants from them since about 1990. I even used to sell them liner Podocarpus and Indian Hawthorne when they were doing more growing and not mainly brokering. I was just in there today and picked up a nice #25 Crape Myrtle for a customer.
Z Turn

Getting old and losing my mind, Yes DEE OAKS Nursery. Yep great people to do business with. BTW just after I posted the above, Joe Powel of Powel's Nursery called me with a question about Fleas. Powells is more of a Retail nursery and has a strong following by older residents. They send me a little work from time to time and I spray their personal homes.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.