Register free!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grub elimination for new lawn

I have a property with a permanent grub problem. Since I am against pesticides I am trying to determine the best way to solve the grub problem. The "lawn" is full of potholes, weeds and st augustine. Grubs are everywhere and eat almost the whole lawn in the summer. The last time I had grub issues at another lawn I bulldozed the whole lawn and screened it, leaving grubs to bake in the sun and be eaten by birds. I did this once a week all summer, spraying vinegar everywhere to kill weeds. At the end of the summer and many siftings I no longer had grubs and added compost and mulch from the chipper throughout the winter. In February I planted the bermudagrass and had a great lawn for years. After about 7 years the grubs returned so I gave it the same treatment. One more trick that seemed to work was making a grub killer out of tobacco leaves. As far as I know the grubs are of june beetles, and I am not sure of there is a biological control for them.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot that I also had covered the soil a month before planting with clear plastic to solarize it. Believe it or not, the bermuda had no competition from weeds and made complete turf by June. Have also used the plastic trick to convert st augustine to zoysia.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try nematodes. We apply them here just before fall. August.

If you have high expectations don't expect better than 35% control. If your lucky you will get great control. Only treat the area that was affected the year prior. If you try for a blanket app you will go broke.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Sponsor

I'm happy to help supply excellent (hungry) predatory nematodes shipped second day.

How many square feet are you dealing with?
Toll Free (844) 266-9375
Certified Soil Foodweb Advisor
"Products, Service and Support for Ecological Land Care"
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

every living thing in the soil (there may be some exceptions) has a way to kill to its advantage. That is the way things have been done for over 650 millions years

Many have the same mode of action

It is very simple to trigger enzyme production that kills a nemisis like grubs

when they get airborne or in infestation numbers is the hard part and often when people say "wow did you see all of those ______" fill in the blank, balance is the key and one of the principals of organic land care, support them all the best you can, they will balance

we have many "organic" folks that call us and say "how do you kill grubs?" we tell them you actually want some grubs in the soil they create burrows that aerate the soil much like worms, often I get a dead phone on the other end, they called to find out how to kill them not how to support them and all of the others that live in the soil

when there are a lot of critters in the soil they balance each other out and you rarely get infestations, same with fungal or bacterial disease

how do you start? organic matter.........bottom line
Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a tiny lawn, 20 x 50 feet. The rest of the yard is native palmettoes, coonties, with mulch and no lawn. Trees shade most of the non-lawn area. I set this up in the "xeriscape" days. It has otherwise been a success producing an authentic Florida pineland complete with mycohrrhizal fungi and healthy green pines. Yet the lawn area always seems to get out of balance. The interesting thing is that in the rest of the yard I never find grubs but lots of earthworms. Earthworms are rare in the lawn area.