Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

oaks

well, the boating will have to wait another weekend. Here is my project, 27 B&B Live Oaks 3" caliper 11' tall. I'll be working my boxer and 36" auger pretty hard at sun up tommorrow.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Moved to florida hoping to boat more than MA but it never seems to work out that way. I did shoot out into the harbor yesterday with my boat, only because I hadnt run it in over two months and I wanted to burn some gas and get some fresh fuel in there. Anyway, this was the picture I took of a wooden schooner at fishermans village punta gorda yesterday. Flat calm water and a great day, too bad it was a twenty minute cruise to get fuel and back to the dock
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Moved to florida hoping to boat more than MA but it never seems to work out that way. I did shoot out into the harbor yesterday with my boat, only because I hadnt run it in over two months and I wanted to burn some gas and get some fresh fuel in there. Anyway, this was the picture I took of a wooden schooner at fishermans village punta gorda yesterday. Flat calm water and a great day, too bad it was a twenty minute cruise to get fuel and back to the dock
Fl Land

PICTURE OF A KETCH not a schooner.

Ketch has a taller mass in the front, A schooner has the taller mass in the Aft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Fl Land

PICTURE OF A KETCH not a schooner.

Ketch has a taller mass in the front, A schooner has the taller mass in the Aft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner
Believe it or not when I posted that I said to myself "if thats not technically a schooner ric will point it out" I knew it had something to do with masts, but thats all I knew. Thanks for the correction. Oh and at least you got the "aft" we call the "front" the "bow"
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

oh, and I was talking about the ship in the background up on the building....did you think I meant the Ketch???
Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Believe it or not when I posted that I said to myself "if thats not technically a schooner ric will point it out" I knew it had something to do with masts, but thats all I knew. Thanks for the correction. Oh and at least you got the "aft" we call the "front" the "bow"
Fl Land

I could have said the Foremast was taller on a Ketch than a Schooner. I also could have spelled Mast correctly. In either case a schooner or Ketch will have the Aft mast forward of the Rudder post. A Yawl will have a Mizzenmast aft of the Rudder post. The Ketch in your picture is rigged with a self tacking Jib and standard reefed sails. A more modern Ketch might be rigged with Roller Reefing.

Many years ago I was into sailing and did a lot of it. Today I would rather start a motor, it is a lot less trouble.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
oh, and I was talking about the ship in the background up on the building....did you think I meant the Ketch???
Nope Not a schooner either. That is a Frigate.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Nope Not a schooner either. That is a Frigate.
I know.......I was trying to be funny.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Fl Land

I could have said the Foremast was taller on a Ketch than a Schooner. I also could have spelled Mast correctly. In either case a schooner or Ketch will have the Aft mast forward of the Rudder post. A Yawl will have a Mizzenmast aft of the Rudder post. The Ketch in your picture is rigged with a self tacking Jib and standard reefed sails. A more modern Ketch might be rigged with Roller Reefing.

Many years ago I was into sailing and did a lot of it. Today I would rather start a motor, it is a lot less trouble.
never really was into sailing myself, although I can see the pleasure in it. I have always been on the water, starting in 9th grade when I built a boat in my cellar out of marine plywood threw a small outboard on it and took it out to all the boston harbor islands for a summer. My grandfather and uncle were lobstermen and I have owned a boat continuosly since I built that boat in ninth grade. Mostly center console outboard fishing boats. The one I have now is a 22' center console with a f-150 four stroke yamaha I bought new about 3 years ago when I traded in my 17' center console.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
never really was into sailing myself, although I can see the pleasure in it. I have always been on the water, starting in 9th grade when I built a boat in my cellar out of marine plywood threw a small outboard on it and took it out to all the boston harbor islands for a summer. My grandfather and uncle were lobstermen and I have owned a boat continuosly since I built that boat in ninth grade. Mostly center console outboard fishing boats. The one I have now is a 22' center console with a f-150 four stroke yamaha I bought new about 3 years ago when I traded in my 17' center console.
Hey

I am boat owner also. I have a 8 ft John boat and a set of Paddles. So don't think you are getting over.