Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
What a miserable day. Should of never loaded up the trailer. Only got a few done, so I will be playing catch up the rest of the week anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boy on a day like this, I don't even try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Boy on a day like this, I don't even try.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, I should have not went out. Instead of wasting gas and part of my day I could of did other things. I usually just stay home on days like this, took a chance and lost. My Grandstand is covered in grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our guys worked all day. Gotta keep on schedule.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Our guys worked all day. Gotta keep on schedule.
Agreed, We worked all day mowed and topdressed a lawn! It wasn't terrible here out off and on light rain all day
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
What a miserable day. Should of never loaded up the trailer. Only got a few done, so I will be playing catch up the rest of the week anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
At least you had the option.

On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home and I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
At least you had the option.

On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home and I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.
One of the many reasons that I have back ups for almost everything. Having 3 trucks really helps if one goes down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
One of the many reasons that I have back ups for almost everything. Having 3 trucks really helps if one goes down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep. Our other vehicle is a '97 Cavalier. Not a viable option.

The plan was to eventually replace the car with something like a small SUV that could pull my small trailer in a pinch, but that takes money that isn't available.

This was a nice kick in the nuts as a "welcome to the end of the season" when the work is beginning to dry up.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
Agreed, We worked all day mowed and topdressed a lawn! It wasn't terrible here out off and on light rain all day
Forgot to say something earlier, but I saw you guys on lunch on Monday when I was checking on the K mart in Moon. I was gonna stop in and say hi, but I didn't put it together that it was your truck until I was down University Blvd too far to turn around.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Forgot to say something earlier, but I saw you guys on lunch on Monday when I was checking on the K mart in Moon. I was gonna stop in and say hi, but I didn't put it together that it was your truck until I was down University Blvd too far to turn around.
Yep haha KFC!! didn't know you guys did that kmart? Do you plow it? I know fratangelos used to.
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
Yep haha KFC!! didn't know you guys did that kmart? Do you plow it? I know fratangelos used to.
I don't know if we plow it or not. But we do cut it. It's a complete craphole. I'm surprised they actually had me check it because I know nobody cares about it.

Tags
n'at!