Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hedge clipper. I use my Stihl HS80, 24" bar. I use a rope (or two) around the clump of grasses before starting, cinch up the rope tight. Make the cut where you want the final height to be -- clean cut across the entire clump. The clump should remain in tact enough to get two arms around it to carry it away. If the clump is just cut down, blades of grass are all over, very quickly! And, getting them all corralled up again takes time, and is hard to leave the area clean.

Depending on where the debris has to go, I may lay out a tarp before cutting, then lay the clump on the tarp before carrying away.

The last thing I want to do is the messy cleanup when the debris is scattered.

After the clump is gone, the final stump may require a bit of touch up with the hedge clipper. How well the initial pass makes the final pass depends upon how big the clump. I have cut some as large as 24" across, but the procedure still works well.

I have heard of homeowners who don't have a gas-powered hedge clipper, using a chain saw. I suspect that will leave a mess. But, it is probably better than hand shears.

Yep, that's the best way to handle it. I usually try to mound mine and round them off so they look nice.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just started blowing leaves off lawn before I mow... Client came out and handed me my pay - "Consider it another paid vacation - don't worry about it, cut it next week."

This is the third time she's done this this season. Paid for no wirk to be done... Then you have others who... Well, you know what I mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will be watching for the HVAC service vans in the driveway next week. Why? They will be replacing AC condenser units outside. These are the ones that were buttoned up for the Winter, complete with tight weather covers.

The picture: Teen gets home from school today, "Mom, it is hot in here." "... just turn on the air conditioner to get some cool air." "Mom, what is that I smell ....?"
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I will be watching for the HVAC service vans in the driveway next week. Why? They will be replacing AC condenser units outside. These are the ones that were buttoned up for the Winter, complete with tight weather covers.

The picture: Teen gets home from school today, "Mom, it is hot in here." "... just turn on the air conditioner to get some cool air." "Mom, what is that I smell ....?"
Hahahahahahahaha

Shows what our society is today...instead of opening a window for a nice breeze, we have to manufacture air on a nice warm fall day.

I do believe that tonight will be the last night I will be sleeping with my windows open.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heh. It was a tad warm today.

I don't recall doing any leaf cleanups last year while wearing shorts.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raining leaves over here N'At.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did two leaf jobs today. Thank god, because next week is looking like a nightmare with the weather forecast.

One I bagged. (gag - what a pain in the a$$) The other I blew to the curb.

I hope I get paid before that 200 foot row of leaves gets blown all over the damned place by the coming storm!
The boro isn't picking up quite yet, but damned near every home has leaves piled at the curb for pickup, so I did too.

Supposed to do a decent sized leaf job in Wilkinsburg/Edgewood on Tuesday for a new "condo association" client - LOL! Not looking good for THAT job thanks to the hurricane.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Boy lucky I'm all caught up on clean ups, just have the final round or two once the weather improves after the next week.

Put on your seatbelts boys, it's going to be rough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I ran like a mad dog for the past couple of day. I'm in pretty good shape. However, if there is a window of time on Saturday, I will be out making passes on some properties covered earlier in the week.

The oak trees have really let go the past couple of days. I've found some properties with very heavy cover. I drove by two properties today, ones that I worked just yesterday. Nobody would know I was there less than 24 hours earlier.

If we get the high winds and heavy rain that is expected on Monday and Tuesday, I think there will not be many leaves left afterward. Yes, the Ginko will stll be hanging on, as well as Pear. But, the last of the Silver Maple and Oak will come down. We may have a huge load to haul in a few days, but the season will not drag on and on.

I'm also worried about the Catalpa. I have two properties with some huge trees. Earlier in the week, hardly any had dropped, and most of the tree were still pretty green. If those get taken down, while still green, they will be a nightmare to get removed. When the Catalpa leaves are dry and crisp, despite being huge and many, they will mulch down very well. But, green and still damp, ...

The best thing we can do is be sure we have fuel and oil for the chain saw, and chains freshly sharpened. Maybe there will be some removal work afterward.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

how did everyone's week go?

Tags
n'at!