Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Oddly enough, I got a sunburn today!

After last year I refuse to wear shorts... got attacked by a swarm of yellow jackets (underground) and my legs were covered, some made their way up.

Oaknut what part of Pittsburgh are you from?

Yeah, I seem to get nailed a few times per season by those sneaky buggers with nests in the ground.
The initial sting is nothing compared to the "soreness" of the sting site afterward.
I swear it feels like I was hit with a bat.

I'm from the high-class area called Penn Hills.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I just put 2 new cans of Bee spray in the truck and going to carry one on the z just for that reason.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleClutch View Post
I just put 2 new cans of Bee spray in the truck and going to carry one on the z just for that reason.
Yeah, I carry some as well.
It doesn't do much for preventing stings, but it helps to "get even".
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't bother with cans of spray. By the time they have stung me, it is too late. I know the location, so can steer around it next visit. I try to inform the homeowner of the nest's existence, and leave it to them for a decision regarding action. I make clear that I intend to do nothing. I don't want to attempt to eradicate, fail, and then be blamed for their survival. Most homeowner remedies do fail. Burning the nest out is pretty sure, but spray usually does not do the job. People are different. Some call an exterminator immediately. Others say, "Ho hum, who cares ...?"

I have one widow who has nests in the walls of her house. I have seen bees in/out for the past five years, at least. On hot days, they are really active. They have a hole in a corner. I imagine the walls are filled with combs. The only solution is to start tearing off siding to get to the studs. Since it has gone on for so long, there must be many cavities that are filled with combs. These walls are to the garage, which is not used. I don't know how many penetrate the walls and get into the garage -- never been inside. The location is not near living quarters. The bee entrance is about five feet off the lawn, so I make a quick pass, and hustle on my way. I've never been stung.

Her response: "Should I care?"

Lot of other things around her property are neglected, so neglecting this problem is merely one more entry on the list. I've seen news reports from time to time where a beekeeper is called to a house, a carpenter starts to remove boards, and finds massive combs inside. I imagine this inside wall is similar.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I don't bother with cans of spray. By the time they have stung me, it is too late. I know the location, so can steer around it next visit. I try to inform the homeowner of the nest's existence, and leave it to them for a decision regarding action. I make clear that I intend to do nothing. I don't want to attempt to eradicate, fail, and then be blamed for their survival. Most homeowner remedies do fail. Burning the nest out is pretty sure, but spray usually does not do the job. People are different. Some call an exterminator immediately. Others say, "Ho hum, who cares ...?"

I have one widow who has nests in the walls of her house. I have seen bees in/out for the past five years, at least. On hot days, they are really active. They have a hole in a corner. I imagine the walls are filled with combs. The only solution is to start tearing off siding to get to the studs. Since it has gone on for so long, there must be many cavities that are filled with combs. These walls are to the garage, which is not used. I don't know how many penetrate the walls and get into the garage -- never been inside. The location is not near living quarters. The bee entrance is about five feet off the lawn, so I make a quick pass, and hustle on my way. I've never been stung.

Her response: "Should I care?"

Lot of other things around her property are neglected, so neglecting this problem is merely one more entry on the list. I've seen news reports from time to time where a beekeeper is called to a house, a carpenter starts to remove boards, and finds massive combs inside. I imagine this inside wall is similar.
When she does something about it, I'll take the honey!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Well another day in the shop going over the equipment cause of rain!! Also got my 4 wheeler fixed Now I got to get the wife to get me a case of Beer
Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
roger did you ever get your mower fixed?
New chapter in the saga. Rather than repeat it here, this link to M & R section will explain,

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...54#post4793954

I am in trouble, and can't see a way out right now.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can't afford to upgrade? 1900 hours is A LOT of hours in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody know anything further about this fire?

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...-county/nYRPS/

I'm wondering what caused the fire? Yes, putting hot mowers into an enclosed trailer raises a danger, but to this extent?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like to me it had a fuel leak. Gas tank on the mower just keep feeding the fire.

Tags
n'at!