Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Only stung once this season by yellow jackets nesting in the ground. Client sprayed the hole as evidenced by the dead grass around the hole, but they are still active.

Found a HUGE bald faced hornet nest on the side of a client's house on monday. They seemed to pay no attention as I crept in close to take pics with my phone. (still need to upload those)
No stings.

I've seen more snakes this season than "bees". More than in the last 4 years combined.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
It's been a good year for services, but a bad year on sales. Not sure what is going on but people are crazy on some of their expected prices. I had a guy contact me and ask me if I could manage his 6 acre property for $80! Last week I did a estimate in the country, was 1 acre and I quoted $70 weekly. She told me the last guy did it for $40. And I lost every bid (by nearly half the price) that was 1 acre or more.

I guess I'm more profitable on smaller residential property because that is what I am setup to service. But if you guys out there with your big trucks and multiple zero turn trailers are charging these prices for larger properties... I feel sorry for you.

Anybody else have this problem?

I'm still "small scale", so I don't know what rates are for "zero turn" lawns, but I'm finding that the tiny, "push mower" city jobs are much more profitable than the medium sized lawns in the suburbs that can be cut with my 36" walk behind.
$35 seems to be the sticking point for most, for lawns that could take from 35 minutes to an hour, yet they pay $30/$35 in the city all day long for a "lawn" that takes 15-20 minutes total.

Mondays and Fridays are my "trailer days" when I take the walk behind and mow my larger properties. I make more money on my "city days" when I take only my 21" mower and cut all these little lawns that are never more than 30 minutes at a casual pace and are all within a one mile radius.

Just picked one up today in Regent Square for $40/weekly. It boggles my mind the difference a few miles can make. Try getting that in somewhere like Penn Hills (for a lawn 5 times the size) and they look at you like you are a criminal for suggesting such a price.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm comfortable with my lawn prices, I average $45ish per lawn out in the suburbs and certain ones I do better on than others but it all evens out. I think some are due for price raises at the start of next year so that should help.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Holy crap. I think the growth slowed down just a LITTLE this week!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, some depletion over the past week. We've not had any substantial rain in the past two weeks. We had some overnight last night, and on into this morning, but only enough to make things wet. The ground is still pretty damp, however.

I was unable to get started mowing until about 9:30 this morning, but was out until 8:00 p.m. I got done what was on my schedule.

Amazing, isn't it? The ball just keeps rolling. Maybe September will turn hot and dry. I always look to Labor Day as a hinge point -- more wet and cooler temperatures.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post

How about ground nests? Last season, I did not get stung one time. This season, I think I've been nailed four or five times. Today was the worst. I can't count them all, but about 10 total, in four different places. I hit the nest with the trimmer, and they were really aggressive. I kept backing off, and a couple of them stung me at least 30 feet away.

I returned to this property on Saturday evening. The nest was still very much alive. But, I saw something I've never seen before. Next to the nest was a dead skunk. The skunk must have approached the nest, and those critters nailed it good enough to result in expiration. Of all the nests I've seen dug out, I have never seen the nest attacker getting the bad end of the stick. They always seem to walk away with the goods (e.g. combs of honey), and the nest is barren. I did find a nest elsewhere on the property of this exact scene -- alive last week, but now barren, with only a freshly dug hole to show.

When I got stung, I thought they were especially aggressive. I guess the skunk found the same thing, and lost its life in the process.

Anybody else see an attacker get the short end of the stick with these nests?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What's up with having to do leaf cleanups before mowing already?

Crazy.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, and if anyone wants this thing, PM me for the location in Braddock Hills
It's sitting out for Friday trash pickup.

More pics here...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=411131
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I said it before and I'll say it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
What's up with having to do leaf cleanups before mowing already?

Crazy.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they're river birch, it's normal. Can't speak for any other trees because I don't know what kind of trees you have dropping leaves.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts

Tags
n'at!